Pump Change - All Levels Now Spiking - BioCube 29

OmegaOmega

Reefing newb
I upgraded my BioCube's pump to the Rio 6 to increase water flow and put a powerhead in and purchased the BioCube Protein Skimmer.

I had been running the tank empty for about two weeks now (except for live rock) and everything was balanced out and near zero. I have not changed anything or added fish except for the equipment I mentioned above

Today I when I tested the water, I couldn't believe how different the readings were:

Temp: From 82 to 78F
Ammonia: From 0ppm to 6.4
NO3: From 0 to 80ppm
NO2: From .5 to 5ppm
Alk: 300ppm (seems to be stable)
pH: 8.4 (seems to be stable as well)

What would cause such a dramatic spike when everything was normal befor?

Is this recoverable? Or is this an indication that something is wrong - or do I just wait it out?

I think I may go to the LFS and start putting some fish in to help balance it out...

If the tank is only 2 weeks old, it is going through its cycle.

The temp differance could be from an increase in surface agitation by the new pumps. It could be causing the tank to evaporate faster.

DO NOT add any fish yet, adding fish will not help balance it out but could make it worse. The fish would also be stressed by the high ammonia levels

Brian

If the tank is only 2 weeks old, it is going through its cycle.

The temp differance could be from an increase in surface agitation by the new pumps. It could be causing the tank to evaporate faster.

DO NOT add any fish yet, adding fish will not help balance it out but could make it worse. The fish would also be stressed by the high ammonia levels

Brian

I was j/k w/ the fish - I'd never add them at this point, especially since many of the readings are spiking.

My tank already went through it's cycle though (I thought) - which is why I'm confused. Everything was reading near zero beforehand.

Not sure but from what I've read when you change things around especially flow rates and such your sandbed could have been mixed up some and that may cause a "mini" cycle, but at only two weeks I think it would still be cycling. Not sure how set in stone a cycle is but I wouldn't be surprized if it would spike and fall a few times before finally settling down. I'd just wait it out another week or two and see if stabilizes. If not then you might have an issue.
But like I said I'm not sure at all, I'm sure someone with more expierience will chime in soon

I was j/k w/ the fish - I'd never add them at this point, especially since many of the readings are spiking.

Good to know you were just joking. One never knows what someone else is told by the LFS. I really think that it is just cycling still and that some of the stuff on the LR died off in transport. Once the Ammonia and NO2 is at 0, then do a water change and keep checking on things.

Brian

More flow could have suspended detritus and crap that had settled into the rock and sand. That'd be my guess. If that's the case, you just have to wait it out -- it's a minicycle, which is pretty common anytime you change stuff in a tank.

+1 Bj and Biff.
Anytime you add more flow,things get stirred up and cause parameters to become a bit unstable for a few days.
It'll settle back down,and be better than it was in a few days.

Consider that the spike may have nothing to do with the increased flow but it probably does. I have a Koralia 1 that blows water under my rocks. Its very important when setting up flow and aquascaping your LR to prevent dead spots under the LR.

Back