Pump/Rust

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
Well after my daily check on my sump I found what it looks like to be rust coming from my pump??? WTF.......
This can't be good.
DSC00950.jpg

Take it out and call the manufacturer. Are you sure its rust? I would'nt think it would be on the plastic casing.

I would get that pump out of there quick.If its getting rust like that,theres water getting inside.It could also be leaching copper,because there is water inside around the wires.But first and foremost,it could be an electricution hazard.

I also agree, when anything appears not right even though it is working, replace it and be sure, before, a more serious situation arises. It seem like maybe the epoxy is breaking down and if so water may eventually find its way to the wires. replace and dont stick your hands in the water unless the pump is unpluged. good luck.

Its an Aqua/Euro, I have done some research on this pump and they are know for doing this. It will be replaced as soon as possible. But I am sure I will have to order one, so it will probly take a week. What should I do in the meen time?

Seriously guys, I am getting REAL discouraged about this hobby. I have ran into so many (bleep) problems already, and I am not talking about little problems. I am really unsure right now........

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the hobby has its moments. in saltwater where the environment is caustic to say the least, top rated well know equipment is the order of the day, and unlike freshwater, saltwater takes its toll on equipment requiring replacement or changing as needed. if you have a piece of equipment that does not last very long do not buy it again but search for a product that has a better track record. Saltwater is like a personal computer, it will eventually become the system you make it. what works for you may not work for others, but, two of the most important items you will need to stay in the hobby is to learn from mistakes, and have patients. good luck with your system. Buy only equipment manufactured for saltwater systems.

Salty
Check with you local LFS,They may have a used pump you can get cheap.
I know the store I help at always has a couple of used pumps for sale.
Shoot,If you lived closer I would loan you my spare Rio pump to hold you over.

Back