Pump size for wet dry sump

Angelajean

I know that I don't know
Hi,
Yesterday, we got some xenia and zoos from a local guy. He upgraded his tank and has a HOB overflow and a wet dry sump. It needs a pump for the sump.

We have a 40 gallon so what size pump would you recommend?

Thanks,
Angie

Rating of overflow box is 700 GPH, but it has an adjustable valve to control the drain.

Last edited:
You will want to pick a pump rated similar to that, because it will lose some strength pumping upwards, against gravity (head loss). I have used Rio Hyperflow, Eheim and MagDrive pumps in my setups, and I've had good luck with all of those brands.

Danner Mag-Drive Supreme Water Pumps

If you go with a MagDrive, this chart shows that the MagDrive 7 might be the best option for your tank (assuming the water only has to move a couple feet to get back to the tank).

If you get the next one up (the MagDrive 9.5), the pump will be stronger than the overflow box and you will need to throttle it down using a ball valve on the return line in order to prevent flooding of your display tank.

You can look up the same info for other pumps -- The Eheims may be and (I know for sure) the Rios are cheaper than the MagDrives.

Its very important that you put the adjustable valve on the side that has the return pump, putting the restriction on the drain side can only lead to problems.

Back