Pump size

jdavison

Reefing newb
I am new and have alot of stuff figured out or I think i have it figured out but I need help with the pumps. I have a 75 gallon tank and I am going to run a sump system with everything being in the sump, what size pumps do I need for the supply and the return. Most of everything I that I have seen said I need about 450 gph what do you all think? Thanks

Whatever pump you decide to go with should be alright, you can only overflow as much water as you pump back in theoretically. Just remember that you will have head height loss in GPH and that the return flow in the tank will be beneficial to you livestock.

Is this the standard 75g reef ready tanks?

You will need a return pump that matches the overflows.If this is the standard 600gph overflows(realistically 400-450gph),then a mag 5 or 7 will work.Make sure to put a ball valve on the return side of the pump.

+1 Reefreak. I was thinking Mag 7 or mag 9 with a ball vavle on the return after the pump. I think a mag 5 or mag 7.5 would be more than enough though.

I'd buy the Magdrive brand. I've had one since 2004 and it's still going strong. They do add a little heat to the water overall, but not enough to worry about.

Thanks everyone for the feedback I think I will go with the mag 5 or 7 can anyone point me in the right direction to purchase this. I think I am also going with the place out of Flor. with the reef starting package insted of buying local. all the local stuff looks ruff, what do you think

Whatever pump you decide to go with should be alright, you can only overflow as much water as you pump back in theoretically.

Actually, you can only pump back in as much water as you can overflow.

I've found that THAT is my limitation. My overflow is only sucking so much water out of my tank. So even though I have a monster pump, I have to turn it way down.

I like my mag 5 on my 75.You will loose some flow to head pressure,but its not enough that it'll make any difference.

Back