Pumped in Ocean Water

Marines_Wife

Reef enthusiast
I am not sure if this is something that you see out here but here it goes.
Almost every LFS out here that I have been to has their own premixed water that you can buy but they also have ocean water. Now they get this water from two places: One is from Catalina island and the other is from the Scripps Ocean institute.

I know quite a few people who get their water from Scripps and it is actually free so +1 for not having to buy Salt. I was thinking about going up and buying Aquarium World > Home water because they have it on sale but Im not sure. Thoughts???

I've never used ocean water so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.

I've read in a few places that the problem with using ocean water for our tanks is that there are living organisms in the water that don't survive in our tanks. That being said larger or more often water changes need to be done to combat that.

I can't comment too much on this. When you mix your own at least you know what you have. However, one of my LFS used to get extremely excited when I brought buckets of fresh ocean water from a dive trip and dump them in his fish and coral systems. He said they are packed with benefical nutrients. Who knows. He's from the old school.

I would be more worried about the nasty things that are in ocean water, especially its being taken in close to the shore or near the surface. In the ocean they are diluted out, but they get super concentrated in our closed systems.

I would be more worried about the nasty things that are in ocean water, especially its being taken in close to the shore or near the surface. In the ocean they are diluted out, but they get super concentrated in our closed systems.
I know they pump it in from miles out and pretty near the bottom but not AT the bottom, so I am just curious now

If its pumped in from miles out, that is pretty good then. But BL1's comment is worth thinking out.
Oh I will I was just curious, from the sounds of it this isnt something that is available for everyone so I was just curious. Ill do research and see what I can find an get back to ya'll

It's definitely important to get the water well away from shore, and deep enough that you don't end up with the surface gunk (like oil spills!)

I think the risk out weigh the reward IMO...
Also seems like a lot of work ..at least more work than mixing up your own

This actually has me thinking now, if we are trying to imitate the ocean in the best way possible, and some of our fish (unless otherwise specified I am assuming) are from the Ocean, then are we just over working ourselves trying to buy "mixes" and everything else to imitate the ocean when we could get NSW?

I would think the only time NSW would ever make sense if it was very fresh. If it sat it would probably rot with all the micro-organisms dying off. Thats probably why it isn't widely used except for a few coastal area. However, like everyone else mentioned it's just not worth the risk. There is the risk of pollutants, dying micr-organisms, etc. You're running a small tank with basic equipment. Definately better off just mixing your own. Once your tank is worth a lot of money as your expensive corals multiply out of control you may have a different attitude about what you put in your tank. Also, your tank is going to need RO every week due to evaporation. I would consider getting a small RO system. I don't have one and could have bought 10 systems by now getting it from my LFS.

I would think the only time NSW would ever make sense if it was very fresh. If it sat it would probably rot with all the micro-organisms dying off. Thats probably why it isn't widely used except for a few coastal area. However, like everyone else mentioned it's just not worth the risk. There is the risk of pollutants, dying micr-organisms, etc. You're running a small tank with basic equipment. Definately better off just mixing your own. Once your tank is worth a lot of money as your expensive corals multiply out of control you may have a different attitude about what you put in your tank. Also, your tank is going to need RO every week due to evaporation. I would consider getting a small RO system. I don't have one and could have bought 10 systems by now getting it from my LFS.
Hubby just Ok'd a RO/DI system tonight, he also just bought me every master reef test kit that API makes lol
I am curious about it now. I think I am going to get a gal of it test it and then test it again in a week. However I cant imagine the water sitting in my tank now being good with no movement or filtration after a week either. Anyhow I am going to give it a shot with a tiny batch for fun AND it gives me an excuse to play with my new toys :D

I would actually avoid that... not to say anything against another aquarium but scripps has horrible care for their exhibits and i wouldn't want anything to do with their water.... at the AQ we only have 2 systems with ocean pumped in water and it's all filtered except at certain times of the day.... When you start mixing ocean water (not to mention COLD water-totally different nutrients in water here vs. our tanks) and our rocks and fish it's not going to mix well at all.... biggest differences are water qualitys, pH, nutrients, and all that jazz.... ocean water belongs IN the ocean-NOT in our tanks :) also, the problem with your test kits is that it isn't going to test for the critters that are IN the water itself.. thats going to bring in lots of micro-organisims that will attach and grow in your tank OR die and cause a huge spike.... those things aren't going to show up on the test kits... thats why at the monterey bay aquarium we have PIGS and filter the water for the most part.

now if you're running a tank with strictly stuff from like the CA coast line thats colder water you're gonna need a chiller... trust me, when it comes to cold water fish I'm a pro (been working with em for 10 years now woot!) at setting those tanks up but i wouldn't do it at home because of the extra expenses and I guess extra attention it would need...

Last edited:
Comments:
Store-purchased natural sea water is pumped from way out and deep because there is too much pollution near the shore.
You have a serious risk of parasites using natural seawater. If you use it, pump it all through UV --twice!
NO MIX will create perfect seawater. There have been many chemical analyses of the mixes and none of them duplicate sea water. As a matter of fact they do not come close!
The huge 200K reef aquarium in San Francisco pumps their sea water 6 miles from the ocean. Its easier than mixing water for a tank that size.

I would actually avoid that... not to say anything against another aquarium but scripps has horrible care for their exhibits and i wouldn't want anything to do with their water.... at the AQ we only have 2 systems with ocean pumped in water and it's all filtered except at certain times of the day.... When you start mixing ocean water (not to mention COLD water-totally different nutrients in water here vs. our tanks) and our rocks and fish it's not going to mix well at all.... biggest differences are water qualitys, pH, nutrients, and all that jazz.... ocean water belongs IN the ocean-NOT in our tanks :) also, the problem with your test kits is that it isn't going to test for the critters that are IN the water itself.. thats going to bring in lots of micro-organisims that will attach and grow in your tank OR die and cause a huge spike.... those things aren't going to show up on the test kits... thats why at the monterey bay aquarium we have PIGS and filter the water for the most part.

now if you're running a tank with strictly stuff from like the CA coast line thats colder water you're gonna need a chiller... trust me, when it comes to cold water fish I'm a pro (been working with em for 10 years now woot!) at setting those tanks up but i wouldn't do it at home because of the extra expenses and I guess extra attention it would need...

Very informative.....I really didnt think about the fact that animals in other parts of the world are use to their water with their organisms and my test kit not testing for it

we have the gulf arium here on the coast they run a 42,000g tank powered by the gulf of mexico very cool sand filters on their in fluent but thy use golf water for the shows, tanks and their aquafarm lots of people get their water from them. i did until tourest season kicked in

Back