Pumps for sumps - which one?

montoya

Reefing newb
I hope to soon convert a 29 gallon tank I have to a sump for my 55 gallon display tank. I'm overwhelmed by the number of return pumps available in terms of brand names and configurations. It also seems both the manufacturers and retailers go out of their way to not suggest what applications a particular pump are most suited for. I'm sure they don't want to limit themselves or incur any liability if someone picks the wrong one.

Are there a couple brands or types that are considered "standards" in the hobby for sump applications?

It depends on the capacity of your overflow. If you use a HOB overflow rated at 600 gph, then get a pump to match, something like a Mag 5 or Mag 7...depending on how much head pressure to get from the sump to the tank.
Do not get a pump bigger than what your overflow can handle. You will end up with an empty sump and overflowing tank.

Are there a couple brands or types that are considered "standards" in the hobby for sump applications?

For tank in your size range Mag Drive (Danner) Pumps are the most popular. They are quiet, relatively inexpensive and seem to have good track records.
You'd probably be fine with a Mag 5 depending on your drain and return plumbing. I run a Mag 3 on my 46g tank. Too much flow through the sump and you'll end up with micro bubbles. Having around 4-5x your system volume being pumped through your sump is plenty and then you can add crazy amounts of flow in your tank using powerheads.

I have a Quiet One 3000 and it's great. But ya Mags are good. I've heard good things about the new Rio's too. If you were to look into the Rio make sure it's the most current model because they had some issues in the earlier models. Good luck.

I ran a Mag 5 for the return on my old 75 for a year.Good quiet pump,plenty of flow,and didnt have to worry about pumping the sump dry.

I use a Mag on my sump now. Prior to the Mag, I used an Eheim. I'd recommend both those brands. Just be sure that whatever you buy, you get the appropriate one for your setup -- external or submersible.

the guy at my lfs sold me a quiet one 3000 today as well. he siad they have alot less heat transfer than the mag pumps. mag pumps are also more expensive so i took his word for it. i would have questions to ask him if he tried to sell me the most expensive pump he had but i save $30.00 with the quiet one 3000 over the mag7....

Back