Purigen Reactor

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I decided to use Purigen along with my GFO and Carbon. So I searched all over for set ups/how to for it and it seems the majority of what I could find opted for not using a reactor due to the fine texture and issues of leakage.

I purchased a 2 Little Fishes 150 to pair with my 550 I have filled with GFO. I prefer the BRA reactor for my ROX Carbon due to easier packing of it tightly with a few extra sponges.

So I searched and searched and finally said screw it I will use pantyhose. I then remember and think my solution would be handy for anyone who wants a fluidized Purigen Reactor. Since all 3 of my reactors branch off my return pump and have flow valves I can keep good return flow and keep the reactors in check.

So my solution was simple and effective. I cut 2 round circles the size of the sponges out of a spare eshops rectangle sump sock. Slapped on under the bottom sponge and one under the top sponge.

While the flow puffs the Purigen not to high as it is set, it blocks any particles from leaving the 150. The perfect solution. There is still a tiny tiny chance it could escape but unlikely. I already cranked it for a second and none got out. It flows perfect through the sump socks with no issues and is in constant motion.

The particles you see at the top eventually settled and the top is more clear and particle free.

Purigen Reactor - YouTube

Last edited:
Just curious on why this post has a thumbs down?

If you do not like or use Purigen fine but the post is for those who do use it and a great way to set it up so I am not sure why it has a thumbs down.

Whoever rated it poorly, why don't you post why and if it is because you do not like Purigen that is not a reason to rate it poorly.

This thread was how to set up a successful Purigen Reactor and not about how good it is nor the products use.

The reactor is a great way to set up for Purigen and not have to worry about flow issues or Purigen getting into the tank. Those with big tanks need to see this because the pre-made bags would be too costly to use over time as opposed to buying a 1L bottle and a reactor like mine.

I have only had it up for this the 2nd day so I am not sure.

I will test my water tonight and then again in 2 weeks before my water change. Actually that is the weekend of the 7th.

This set up is working great so far and I feel safe.

Just curious on why this post has a thumbs down?

If you do not like or use Purigen fine but the post is for those who do use it and a great way to set it up so I am not sure why it has a thumbs down.

Whoever rated it poorly, why don't you post why and if it is because you do not like Purigen that is not a reason to rate it poorly.

You had the thumbs down when you posted the thread. Below the dialog box for the original message is an option to have an icon with the thread, you thumbs downed your own thread.

Back