Purigen SUCKS!!!

Doc

I don't work for anybody
So, as some of you know, I have been trying Purigen instead of carbon as it boasts being "ultimate filtration". what the label should read is "ultimate pain in the ass". It is total shit. The label indicated that it cleans the water for 6 months and you can recharge it to use it again. Why? Why would you want to? First of all, the consistency of the powder is so fine, it sneaks out through any media bag, including nylon stockings and ends up floating around in your water, making it look dirty when it is "cleaning" your tank. Next, I noticed a horrible smell coming from my tank, yup, Purigen. Carbon never smelled like that. I have had it in my tank for 2 months and it is well used up. The smell is not unlike a rotting yeast infection - pardon the vivid description, but my whole house is currently unlivable due to the HORRID STENCH. I threw it out and replaced the media bags with new ones and I am going back to my carbon pellets. I realize this is my experience and many of you may have tried this product with some measure of success. Me? NEVER again. Yuck.

-Doc

Rotting yeast infection huh?I gotta say thats a new one on me.:mrgreen:
Just the thought of it will be enough to keep me away from it.Thanks for the info Doc.

Rotting yeast infection huh?I gotta say thats a new one on me.:mrgreen:
Just the thought of it will be enough to keep me away from it.Thanks for the info Doc.

yeah, I try not to share all the things that float around in my mind. It is a pretty twisted place these days.

-Doc

What does a rotting yeast infection smell like?Okay,don't answer that!!!

Glad you came back and gave us the heads up.I really love the Chemipure and Chemipure Elite over just running carbon.My system never smelled so good and been so algae free even with heavy feeding three times a day.

Interesting, I have purigen running in my tank right now. I probably will concider removing it. Although it did help clean up my glass.

Interesting, I have purigen running in my tank right now. I probably will concider removing it. Although it did help clean up my glass.

Just keep an eye on it. when it goes bad, it really goes bad fast

-Doc

Back