Purple algae!!

Shadechic23

Reefing newb
Ok....got a 55 gallon.....have live rock an dry rock in it......first it was brown algae it went away....now i am seeing purple algae accumulating every where....on glass, filter, rocks, but was wondering if this is normal??? or not!! Fish are doing great an so is my anemone.

My level are:
Ph-7.8
Ammonia-0 to .25
No2-0
No3-160 ( I know this is not good but am trying to get it down)

Is it hard to the touch or soft? If its hard its coraline algae, its good. If its soft it is most likely cyno, bad to have. I would guess that its going to be cyno due to your NO3 being high... Let us know.

coralline algae is actually sought after , its what gives it that appealing look , most people want it and cant get it (like me)

coralline comes in an array of colors including white green purple yellow ect

grats

i dont think cyano gets on glass , could be dead wrong thought but yeah soft/bad, hard/good

A black out will kill the cyno but it will come back due to your NO3 being to high. You need to remove as much as possible with each water change but you need to cut your nutrients in the water column down to solve the issue once and for all. Search through the algae forum to try to find out what others have done to deal with it.

Cyano can and will grow on the glass.
Mix up enough water to do at least a 50% water change.Start by siphoning out as much of the cyano as possible ( you've got to get ahead of it before you can beat it.)Then kill the lights for at least 3 days. The day you turn the lights back on,do another 50% water change and siphon out any remaining cyano.

As you kill algae,it'll release all it's nutrients right back into the water if you don't physically remove the algae.So get rid of as much as you can during the water changes.

Back