purple hair algae

donlankford

Addicted Reefer
Ive been fighting with this algae since ive started my tank. Ive got a skimmer and UV Sterilizer that i alternate on and off between the two. Is it ok to run them both at the same time? Ive just started using RO water. Do weekly 5 gallon water changes (Sunday). Ive put the tank on a 8 hour a day light schedule. I do use flaked food but only 3 times a week they get brine and mysis shrimp once or twice a day. With all that said, it seems to be get worse. its all over my live rock and the sand. Its sugar size sand. My CUC include two scarlet reed hermits, 3 blue leg hermits, one turbo snail, little crab dont know what kind (came with ten pounds of live rock) and a serpant sea star. Could that not be enough of a CUC to keep the algae in check? Or could it be something else? All opinions appreciated. not sure if pic will show up but one on way if it doesnt

Attachments

• CIMG0448.jpg
    CIMG0448.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 754
You can run the skimmer and UV sterilizer at the same time. There's no reason not to run the skimmer 24/7.

I think you are overfeeding. I would ditch the flakes completely and only use frozen. And cut back to feeding every other day.

Given that this is a new tank, some amount of algae is going to be inevitable. It's a phase that almost all new tanks go through, and it sucks! But you are on the right path using good water and good equipment and doing regular water changes.

Yes I agree with Bifferwine. You are over feeding and scrap the flakes. I started feeding flakes only when I started and the algae was crazy and could never get the water right. I since switched to every other day and frozen mysis and have had no problems.

Brine shrimp contains little nutrients. Mysis is healthy and a much better alternative to brine. You can buy fortified brine shrimp, which is also fine.

Back