Purple Lobster?

cvcdrk

Reefing newb
Petco has one now. I can't seem to find any GOOD info on them. Anyone had one?

Liveaquaria is so general in their descriptions, other things aren't specific enough. What do they scavenge?

Will they eat my snails? Will a purple lobster fight with my CBS? Who is likely to win?

Thanks.

I have one but I haven't had it for very long. All I have are large turbos snails and a cowrie. Nothing really in my tank it can eat. But its aggressive enough to scare off my lionfish lol

I've never had one, but from everything I've heard of them, if you buy one, you can expect to see it maybe once or twice a year. They are very reclusive and timid.

On a side note, "liquid midnight" makes me think of code for a child wetting the bed. Like, you hear crying in the middle of the night and you and your spouse look at each other and go, "oh geez, little susie's up, bet it's another liquid midnight." Or, "it's your turn to deal with the liquid midnight, I got it last time." Or "where are all the clean sheets?" "oh, they're in the wash still, we had like 5 liquid midnights this week."

lol, Sarah.

I am thinking about a Lobster as well, are they safe for most other creatures in a reef tank?

Beeguiles had a purple lobster, ate one of her fish :(. You have to watch them with smaller fish, which is what most of us have in reef tanks. Unless you are going to do a lion or big aggressive tank I wouldn't recommend a lobster. Plus, every site says they hide from the light. Booo.

Well ALL my guys are hiding from the light ATM. I think they just need to get acclimated though. I have a Fire Shrimp, Red Leg Hermit, and three Peppermint shrimp and they are all on the back of my rock. lol

Oh geez, well you picked some things that no one ever sees! Fire shrimp and Peppermints are notorious hiders. Skunk cleaner shrimp are the ones you want to get, always out.

My lion and puffer are the same size as the lobster. Yeah they do hide from the light except at feeding home. I'm sure they would eat other shrimp, like the cleaners and fires, or hermits and other small crabs. Anything smaller than it I'm guessing. Mine is only about an inch and a half. But I see him all the time because I know where to look. All of my rock is in the center of the tank and slightly away from the back wall so I get pretty much 360 view. That helps immensely.

Lobster tastes good too. Darn you Sara, now I have Tequila Sunrise on my brain now! Except I am hearing It's another Liquid Midnight! Ugh....

Looks like I won't be getting it. I wouldn't want to lose my Scooter to it. He's the smallest fish in the tank and I would worry about him.

It's a shame, though...they're cool looking. :)

Back