Purple Monti Cap

ggNoRe

Reefing newb
I'm starting to lean towards getting a purple monti cap as my "show coral" if you will. After doing a little internet window shopping I only saw two different purple monti caps. The "Idaho Grape" Limited Editions Montipora undata Grape
which I have seen for sale on several different sites and averages around $30 a frag and then "Vivid's Ultimate Purple Cap" Buy Vivid's Ultimate Purple Cap Online | Vivid Aquariums
which Vivid claims is far superior to the Idaho Grape and sells for $75 a frag. I don't mind spending more than I normally would for this coral as it will basically be my main attraction of the tank but then again I don't want to pay $100+ ($75 + shipping) for a frag that is basically the same thing as the Idaho Grape and TBH I really hate to pay for shipping at all. If anyone with experience with either one of the corals could share some insight I would appreciate it. Or for anyone who doesn't have these but has any insight on purple monti's altogether it would be nice to hear too.

They're both monti's and will require virtually the same care and requirements. To me it's a matter of person preference as to which one you like. I have a regular purple cap that is extremely purple. It started off as a faded frag and really took off. It also depends on what type of lights you have which will help with the color intensity of the coral.

So far I have 2 other SPS and they are doing good. I have a 150W MH with a 14k phoenix bulb on my 29G boicube. The coral would be placed in the best spot in my tank which is on top in the middle and in front with nothing obstructing it's light or flow. Do you know the name of the one you got? I'm just trying to find the brightest colored monti cap I can find.

Also, be careful if you're placing the monti in the top of your tank. Even though they are an SPS they don't require really high lighting or flow. Ask about the lighting of the coral you're going to buy and adjust accordingly.

Those purple caps can get brown especially easy, I have a lot of trouble keeping any color to them (I have 2 kinds). They seem to get better color under higher, bluer light (20k). Personally I wouldn't spend more than $20-30 for a frag of purple cap, its fairly common now. Vivid's pricey, but usually has good quality stuff. For a monti though, I doubt the extra cost would make a difference over someone else's frags IMHO

If you are set on the purple color you may also want to check into the Purple Haze Monti. I'm told they are much more vivid in coloration. I too like Jag have an Idaho Grape that will not for whatever reason get that deep rich purple color. I was also told the Purple Haze will achieve it and hold it. Just a thought.

oh yeah Purple Haze is WAY BETTER, but it is encrusting not a plating type. Depends if the plating is a bigger deal or the color. I get way nicer color on my haze. Superman and/or rainbow montis are also very nice and have stunning colors on a purple/blue base.

I really appreciate all the info. Def. going for plate though. Guess I'll wait til I see someone locally with a really bright piece or maybe just order from vivid in the future, Thanks!

Here's a pic of the purple cap frag I got. Keep in mind that it was almost white and a little faded purple when I got it 3 weeks ago. Now it's awesome and growing.

Picture051-5.jpg

Back