Purple Sandspot?

rwynn

Big Daddy
I don't have a camera capable of getting close enough, but recently a purple spot has appeared in my sand, the sand was dead to begin with a little over a week ago. I have about 8lb of LR nearby the spot and I had treated the tank with, ironically, PurpleUP to get the Corralline to grow better. Is that what I could be seeing this soon?

I don't have a camera capable of getting close enough, but recently a purple spot has appeared in my sand, the sand was dead to begin with a little over a week ago. I have about 8lb of LR nearby the spot and I had treated the tank with, ironically, PurpleUP to get the Corralline to grow better. Is that what I could be seeing this soon?

I don't know if this helps, but the spot has appeared where some flake food had settled on the sand.(I am not sure if the food's color could leech out?)

Hmm on closer inspection there are more areas throughout the tank, most if not all seem to have a piece of food nearby...I'm thinking its the color from the food(unless maybe it is causing algae to grow on the decaying food?) I'm thinking less food and a better quality food will be in order.

Sounds like diatoms. Which is a type of algae. They are normal in a new tank, you'll be getting them all over the place. There isn't much you can do about them, just wait it out. It will help to have some nassarius snails to stir the sand for you.

Same way as other algae -- keep up with your water changes, remove as much by hand as you can. Cyano can be tricky. Again, it's really common in a new tank so there isn't really a good "cure" for it. New tanks always seem to go through an algae phase! Cyano doesn't seem to like a lot of flow, so a lot of times aiming your powerheads on those spots will help too.

Also make sure you're not overfeeding.

I was overfeeding most likely....2x a day....and too much at once.....went to 1x daily and less at a time. Adding more CUC as well this week.

Back