purple sea slug released yellow stuff.

djpj001

Reefing newb
hey there-

My purple sea slug stuck on the glass tank released in period of 2 days a yellow sort of spaghetti string about 4-5 inches it's also stuck on the glass tank next to the sea slug. My LFS said it might be eggs. What should I do- leave it alone?, remove it ?- or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks- djpj

Never had a sea slug or read much about them, but my quess would also be eggs.

Something will probably eat them. I would be very interested in seeing a picture if you wouldn't mind taking the time to snap one.

Thanks
Brandon

ss.gif

sorry the pic looks like crap it was taken with cell phone. hope this helps..

I think these are better pics- the yellow string is still entacted there are no breaks, and it's folded in a circular way. As far as I know none of the fishes have picked on it.

Picture008.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Last edited:
I believe they are filter feeders- I have three and they seem to be pretty hardy, mine have gone through 2 system over loads. I heard they release toxins when they die which can cause seroius problems, but not really sure

Well I don't think it's poo because it hasn't decomposed yet. It's still looks intacted and hasn't moved from it's spot. I've just left it alone and wait to see what happens.

All Nudibranchs are hermaphroditic and reproduce by depositing egg masses in a jelly like mass. Introduction to Nudibranchs - Ronald L. Chimek.

When they die they release a very nasty toxin. Know from experience. Those I believe are eggs. I had one that did the same thing, but the discharge "disappeared". If there are meateaters in the tank they wont last. I have seen them do this at a local fish store.

Back