purple stuff cyano?

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
My sand is getting covered in purple stuff and im pretty sure its cyano. Question 1: Can cyano also cover rocks? One of my rocks has some purple stuff on it and can i cant tell if its coraline or cyano there too
Question 2: I know that better flow gets rid of it but i dont have another powerhead so how can i get rid of it?

Use a phosphate removing product like phosban. Also, reduce the amount of time you have your lights on during the day.

If it is cyano it can cover pretty much anything in the tank. It is a battle to get rid of it but you will win eventually.
Increase water changes, decrease light time (like keaton said) and remove phosphates.

You can reduce the amount you feed and that can also help reduce phosphates.

You would need to run GFO(phosban) through a canister or better yet,a phosphate reactor.You can get it at some LFS or at most online vendors.I believe it's about $40 at the 2Doc's and you will need a small pump/powerhead.In-expensive and well worth it.

Do not use tapwater in addition to everything else that has been said.

You could do that, but you would have to place it in an area where the water is forced through it. Some skimmers have a compartment that you can drop a bag of it in, or you could put it inside a canister or HOB filter that you have. If you just hang it in the water, it won't do anything.

i actually could fit one of those bags in my skimmer, i would have to make sure it wouldnt overfrlow because of it but i definitely could do it...

Sorry to hijack this, Puff....

I have red cyano in my sump's fuge...should I try to get rid of it? It doesn't seem to be getting in my main tank. I had changed my lighting to regular 60 watt to a 26 watt (I think) cfl, and it doubled in size in a few days.

Back