purple tech and coralline algae

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
I bought a bottle of purple tech because I saw some coralline algae growing on its own in my reef tank. I guess its supposed to help it grow faster? Well, I got a short spine urchin and he found the coralline algae and loves it...I knew he would. Anyways, I want the algae to grow faster than he can consume it. How often should I dose with purple tech. A few times a week? Or as much as I want? Is it going to affect my water quality? Will it affect fish or corals negatively? Is it possible to dose the tank too much? Thanks for any and all advice in advance :)

All that is ground up sand and is suppose to raise your calcium. If you calcium level is fine, its not going to make it grow any faster. You should first test your calcium level before you start adding that stuff and make sure you actually need it.

Also, the secret it seems to making coraline grow super fast is to have bluer lighting.

No I don't think so. It just has a switch on it for off, blue and white and blue only. It's the marineland LED reef light.

Hmm . .. LED blue lights might not put out the right specturm, but im not 100% sure. I know with the blue T5 lights you get coraline to grow like mad.

I have purple tech and use it about every two days, to keep my calcium around 460 ish, if not it drops to 400 or 380. If you arent testing calcium, I wouldnt dose with it. It also contains trace elements and other things required by corals, not just coraline algae, for growth. Also, acts as a buffer for ph swing, recommended dosing at night time.

Also, clouds your water like hell.

I have only dosed it twice so far. Once a week. And I do it at night bc of the ph being naturally lower at night. And that's what the directions said to do. I need to test my calcium level though before I put any more in.

Does your LFS have any rubble covered with coralline you can use for seed rock? After you check your water to see if you can grow it.

I know I can grow it bc its already growing on its own in my tank. I just want it to grow faster before my urchin eats it all.

Back