Purple Tilefish Information / Spawning Questions

robin623

Reefing newb
About six months ago, I purchased a pair of purple tilefish (Hoplolatilus purpureus). This species has always been one of my favorites, but i've been hesitant to bring them into my aquarium because of their reputation as being somewhat difficult and poor shippers. When I saw the condition of the pair I have now at the LFS and also saw their appetite, I decided to go for it.

Things have gone exceptionally well thus far, but I have noticed that there is not much info on the web about this fish. A couple of online retailers mention on their website that they have been known to spawn in captivity, but I can't find much information on that. I checked the breeders registry, but didn't find any information there either.

Does anyone have any first hand experience with this fish or know of an incidence where spawning took place in captivity. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

index.jpg

Don't know off the top of my head, but check out www.mbisite.org and fishbase - fishbase is where you will find info about what type of spawners they are etc., and if anyone has registered this species on mbisite then it should give you info on how far anyone has gotten w/ getting this species to spawn, etc., in captivity. Good luck & keep us posted!

I had one for many years, so didn't experience any breeding behaviors. :) So sorry I can't be of any help there. What I did experience was a fish that loved to jump out of the tank (mine was very skittish). Be sure that your tank has a cover to prevent carpet surfers (I eventually found the decapitated body of mine on the floor -- one of the cats took the head). :(

Back