put my sand in AFTER the water....whoopsies!! Please help!

jennyk

Reefing newb
I've been doing a lot of reading so far and have learned a lot...but no one else seems to have made the same mistake as me.

I explain in more detail later if you are curious but quick read version: I put in my water first, and the next day turned off the filter and then put in my live sand and live rock (based on the order I was sold things and the obvious fact that I know nothing so far!) My water is still really cloudy 8 hours later. Should I turn my filter back on? Should I just take out the water and start again? Thank goodness I don't have any fish at stake. Thoughts?

Anyway, full version here:

I went to the aquarium store wanting to buy a "pretty fish"- yup, I'll admit, that was my main goal in starting this. Anyway, turned out every fish I liked was salt water and the other customers and salesman convinced me to go with salt water... and I'm super glad I did! I've been doing a lot of reading and I have fallen in love with the idea of helping to create this awesome ecosystem and watch it grow! (hopefully)

Anyway, I asked the salesman what I needed that night to get started and he hooked me up with the basics....which didn't include live sand - but he did tell me I'd need it soon. So I filled my tank (15 gal. because bigger scared me and wouldn't fit in my apartment or budget), starting mixing the salt in and checking the salinity level. I put in my filter (with biosphere) and my heater and then went back today to get my live rock and live sand. Well, I put in the live sand (turned off the filter first).... and 8 hours later my water is still super cloudy!! I added 15 lbs. of live sand but I still can't see through from one side of the tank to the other now. I don't know if I should turn my filter back on (he warned me against getting too much sand in it and said I wouldn't want to change the filter right after because it will hold bacteria too).

Currently I have the filter off, the live sand and live rock in, the heater on and set to 77F and a thermometer stuck to the outside of the glass that doesn't appear to be working at all. I saw one little creature dart around the tank and then quickly back in to the rock. Just wondering if I should take out all the water and start again or if I should turn the filter on, or just wait longer for the sand to settle more--- after 8 hours you'd think it was settled!

Any help would be FANTASTIC!! Thanks so much!

What type of filter do u have? also what filer medium does it come with?
I had the same problem when i first started but i just used a canister filter with some cotton wool in it and that cleared up the water in no time

I added my sand after the water was already in the tank as you did.. and yes it will become cloudy. I left my filter running, but in my tank filter at the start of the filtering process there is a pad that filters out particles (start of the sump). Needless to say I went through about two of those filter pads, but it took a day or two for the tank to clear up.

It would depend on your filter and medium you use, but typically if it has the correct medium you would just keep the filter running and clean/exchange the medium.

Since I always get everything from Tampa Bay Saltwater, my sand and rock always go in after the water. No big deal. It'll clear.

What is this "filter" you speak of? Live rock and protein skimmer provides the filtration for saltwater.

+1 everyone....it will clear :D Even without a filter or skimmer, things will clear up, but it will take longer. Welcome to the site!

Hello and Welcome!

Im not sure what sort of filter they sold you, but other than helping you clear up the water now, its not something that will be beneficial to you long term. You most important filter in a saltwater tank is having enough rocks (1-2 lbs per gallon)

What kind of sand did you get? if its the super fine sugar-sized sand then it will probably take longer to clear, but give it a few days. You'll still need to cycle your tank so you've got plenty of time for it to clear up before adding livestock. Welcome!

Welcome aboard! They have you covered. You need 15-30 lbs. of live rock in the tank and that should suffice for filtration along with good water movement (powerheads) and weekly water changes. On a tank that small you don't even really need to run a skimmer as long as you are good about your maintenance. On my ten gallon I run an Aquaclear 30 with only chaeto (a type algae used in helping nutrient export) in the area where you would put the filters for freshwater tanks, and a powerhead.
One thought I had is that if you stacked your rock on top of your sand, you might want to push some of the sand away and set your rock down on the bottom glass of the aquarium and then push the sand back around the rock for stability.

Wow thanks so much everyone! I am glad to hear I can just wait it out! And overnight it did get much better!! I am sure another day or two and it will be clear.

I bought really fine sand... like when I go to the beach at the ocean, so that is probably why it's taking so long.

A few asked me what kind of filter I have... shamefully, I have no idea! lol. Maybe I am referring to it incorrectly? It picks up water, has a filter, a biosphere and spits it back out. It said on the packaging that it does 100 gallons an hour I believe...? But I don't remember what it was called.

Thanks for the tips too! I think once it settles a bit more I will move the live rock so it's not on top of sand like suggested. Thanks again! I am sure I will have MANY more questions in the coming days and weeks as I get set up to finally put some fish in!

Google "hang on back protein skimmer".
This would be much better than a hang on back biowheel filter. Those are meant for freshwater, not saltwater.

Really? Dang... you'd think they would help set you up with the correct stuff. Since it's only 15 gallon do you think I need a skimmer? I noticed it seemed like someone else on here thought I didn't.... I'm open to anything, especially since so far I know nothing, haha

No need for a skimmer on a small tank, just regular water changes will do :)

And lfs are notorious for giving misleading or flat out wrong advice because they need to make the sale. Always do your own independent research before purchasing something

Yeah, i run a 6g nano with no skimmer. It's running a crappy version of your biowheel skimmer since the tank was really meant for freshwater use, not saltwater.
It's a fluval edge, so there is really no place to put one. So instead I replaced the filter basket with a better one and now run chemipure and purigen to help with nitrates, phosphates, etc.
And I've seen full fledged large mixed reef tanks with no skimmer.

But... not to necessarily disagree with littlefish, if i had a place to put a skimmer on my nano, I totally would. Especially since the smaller the tank, the less stable it is. I mean, does the size of a tank really matter? Sure it's easier to do water changes. But my 200g tank at home does automated water changes. Doesn't get much easier than that. I still wouldn't think of not running a skimmer. So I would still do some research and look into the possibility of replacing the filter with a skimmer. It can only help. In fact, i might even keep the filter on there but remove the biowheel part which my harbor nitrates. Then use the empty box to put packets of chemipure, purigen or anything like that. I dunno... just thinking out loud.

Go ahead and move the rock.. it is going to cloud your water again anyway.

And be sure you understand... you will not be able to add fish when it clears "in a couple of days". You must let your tank cycle.. read up on this forum in the "sticky" posts about cycling tanks. Then you will be ready for more... we (the forum members) have your back.

Great thanks! And yes, reading helped for sure...don't worry I don't plan on putting in my fish for awhile...the sooner the better so I'm hoping for a couple of weeks but I don't want to risk it so I won't be in any rush!

My friend took the bio part out of his filter and filled the area w/ more live rubble. I also like the puregen nitrate pouches, I run 3 in my 200G. Welcome and take your time, everyone here is super helpful.

Last edited:
I did it too

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 659
Back