putting back in sand.

Al Vance

Reefing newb
Hello:
Due to many water changes in cycling and sucking out algae from the sand, I have taken probably 5 pounds of the live sand. I only have30 I have in the tank.
Whats the best way to slowly put this, I assume dead sand back.
Thanks,
Al

+1 yote

I'm not going to get into the whole dead/live sand debate...a lot of people will say that "live" stuff is dead anyway...so I say, just make sure to put in some clean stuff and don't cover up your current DSB with the new stuff or you'll kill off all the beneficial bacteria living on top of your current DSB

Take the sand you siphoned out and wash it good.Then just put the sand in a zip-loc baggie,sink to the bottom of the tank and slowly pour the sand out of the baggie.

wow, thats a really neat way to do it and not cause a sand storm in the tank...

I've been using the clear tube from my tank syphon vac thingy, and putting it hard on the bottom, then pouring the sand down inside the clear tube, then lifting the clear tube slowly... if that makes sence, i may have to video that one...

i'd be better off with a tupperware, put the sand in it, close it up, sink it, open it up, and pour it out...

yea, prolly not gonna happen, i'd loose a limb if the wife cought me using her good tupperware on the fish tank. We already had a 3 hour screaming match about using her measuring cups to measure salt.

wow, thats a really neat way to do it and not cause a sand storm in the tank...

I've been using the clear tube from my tank syphon vac thingy, and putting it hard on the bottom, then pouring the sand down inside the clear tube, then lifting the clear tube slowly... if that makes sence, i may have to video that one...

I've done it that way too; I actually moved the existing DSB out of the way with the tube first as much as I could so I wouldn't cover it up with the new stuff

i'd be better off with a tupperware, put the sand in it, close it up, sink it, open it up, and pour it out...

yea, prolly not gonna happen, i'd loose a limb if the wife cought me using her good tupperware on the fish tank. We already had a 3 hour screaming match about using her measuring cups to measure salt.

Had that match with my wife to.Then she went bought ME a set of measuring cups:D

I guess that's one benefit I get for doing the cooking...I use whatever tupperware, measuring cups and kitchen knives (for cutting up frozen food) I want and don't have to hear a thing :lol:

Back