Putting caulerpa in my sump???

SalteeDogg

Reefing newb
My new 40 gallon seahorse tank has a built in overflow, I am not too familiar with overflows/sumps but the water goes in the overflow, the sump is built into the tank, and is pumped back out which their is a big filter to catch everything. I didn't want to put bioballs so the only thing I could find was grape caulerpa. Would this be good to use? Also is anybody familiar with this setup? The middle chamber in the pic never gets water, their is a pvc pipe that comes up so im assuming it might be an overflow if the pump goes off. The water comes in on the right side and goes under the middle chamber and is pumped back out. The tank is new to me and I am still figuring out how it works. Sorry for all the questions and to rant on. H
335h2q0.jpg

acpjk0.jpg

2vwfsao.jpg

Sorry,I'm not familar with that setup.

Is that caulerpa able to get light?If not remove it,if it is then I would replace it with chaeto.It's a less evasive algae and much easier to grow.

You will need light for macroalgae to live.It doesn't need much wattage but something in the 6500k area is best.Chaeto on the otherhand will do fine under almost any spectrum.

Freak is right, you will need to put a light over the place you plan on keeping your macroalgae, or else it will just rot and die. Caulerpa is okay, but it has a tendency to turn your water yellow. Chaeto won't stain your water, so it's a better choice. I have both in my fuge, but that's only because the clump of chaeto I bought had a teeny tiny sprig of caulerpa stuck to it, and the caulerpa ended up spreading like crazy.

If you provide 24 hours of light per day to the caulerpa it willnot go sexual and will not discolor your water. It is a larger exporter of nutrients than chaeto. A small twist bulb power compact (around 18 watts) that is made to screw into a regular light bulb socket would be more than adequate for your algae. They come in 6500K, and can be found at discount stores and Home Depot and Lowes. I use chaeto for the reasons given by others and the fact that I do not wish to run lights 24 hours per day over my refugium, but Caulerpa does not have to be excluded as a choice as its problems can be controlled easily enough.

Yeah, I've read a lot about it being illegal in certain places because people with aquariums dump the contents of their tanks when they move, and then they have all these problems with the invasive species (like caulerpa) taking over and destroying the native ecosystems.

Back