PVC dangers

badmeowth

Reefing newb
I am about to start plumbing for my sump, and I read about the dangers of PVC / PVC pipes. However, when I tried to find HDPE at Home Depot, they didn't have any.

I heard PVC starts releasing toxic fumes when it burns, which is a scary thought since the tank will be right beside my bed in the basement. How many people are running PVC piping, and who are running PVC alternative piping? If so, where can you buy these alternative piping

Of course any plastic that catches on fire will release toxic fumes.It is 100% safe to use PVC to do the plumbing.People have been using it since the dawn of time,well nearly.Every reefer uses some kind of PVC,flexible pvc and/or vinyl tubing.I'm using both PVC and vinyl tubing.

Yeah it is true that PVC releases toxic fumes when it burns.
However, dont get that to stop you from using it. If your house catches fire, it probably wont be your fish tank that will start it. And you will be out of there before the fire is close enough to start burning the PVC. You probably also have PVC drain pipes in the house and other plastics also. It is perfectly safe on a day to day basis to use as your plumbing. It is also cheaper than the alternatives.

Brian

I agree with others. Your tank shouldnt pose much of a fire risk if you properly setup all the powerstrips, plugs, etc. There is a high risk if the powerstrips are close to water so if you do take care of the electrical aspect of your tank properly, there shouldbt be much risk and no worries about the pipes.

There are far more toxins that will be released in your carpet furniture and vinyl siding than will be released if your house burns,knock on wood, than will be released from a few pvc pieces.

I agree with others. Your tank shouldnt pose much of a fire risk if you properly setup all the powerstrips, plugs, etc. There is a high risk if the powerstrips are close to water so if you do take care of the electrical aspect of your tank properly, there shouldbt be much risk and no worries about the pipes.

The risk can be reduced if the outlets are GFI outlets that you are plugged into.

Brian

I, and about every other reefer I know, uses PVC.

I think if your house catches on fire, the PVC burning and releasing toxic fumes will be the least of your concerns!!!

Back