PVC glue wait time

+1 Everyone
After priming and glueing, it takes minutes for the cement to set. But I still always feel like waiting a few hours to be on the safe side is best!

It tells you on the can how long the cure time is. I've waited as little as a few hours and as long as 12 hours probably.

Mine said you can run water after 20 minutes as long as it didn't exceed a certain pressure. Then fully cures after 2 hours. I just wasn't sure if it was toxic unless fully cured.

At any rate, I did run water within about 30 minutes of gluing the last pieces and everything seems fine. :)

They do make quick set PVC glue as well, but an houisle so should be fine for the lower pressures we run.

This...
An old thread I realize, however for future ref:

I have been the senior engineer, manufacturing engineer, etc, etc. for many years at several facilities. .. that means all the maintenance crews were under me...and here is the experienced results....

I have never had one single time that we weren't able to put the PVC to use as fast as we could glue it and turn on the pressure. In most of my professional examples we had no time to wait because production lines were down and time was money. As you each have noted, when you put the joint together if you don't align it right instantly.. you blew it.. and have to make a new joint. ..

However here is one strong suggestion....
Clean both parts with a twist of sand paper and wipe them with a clean paper towel. As you put the joint together, start several degrees off from where you want the joint to point. Let's say for argument example for those that need clear instructions, 90 to 180° off the target direction, .... then instantly twist the joint to the right direction before it sets. ...You have a few seconds before you assemble the joint but once you PUSH it together....PUSH HARD, TWIST HARD &.HURRY !!!! ... This assures that the glue and softened plastic halves get a 100% coverage and sealing seat. It also tends to lock better by fusing of the plastics in the joint in a twisted "weld", if you would excuse the poor choice of words.. but that is basically what is happening... you are "welding" them together this way.. not just gluing them.

I hope this helps and clears up any fears about joints leaking.

Let me add this..........
If your joint leaks you must of done one of the following:
1) not used cleaned, and dryed parts (I like to clean them with sand paper then a paper towel)
2) not gotten full coverage with both the primmer and the cement
3) not twisted the joint
4) not used the correct freaking cement for that type PVC
5) not used two parts that do fit correctly in the first place (for best results dry test fit them and they should already always be a tight slip fit before the glues are applied)

Do what I say and that joint is NOT coming apart or leaking !!!!! EVER!!!! PERIOD!!!! .. wink...

thanx for listening
-randy-

Last edited:
+1 Randy.

I will also throw this in there. In order to help align the pieces, dry fit them then mark the two pieces with a sharpie. That way when you twist the pieces together, you will have a reference point and you won't waste any parts.

+1 Randy.

I will also throw this in there. In order to help align the pieces, dry fit them then mark the two pieces with a sharpie. That way when you twist the pieces together, you will have a reference point and you won't waste any parts.

+1
that is a great idea..."glad I thought of it" ..lol...

Back