pvc overflow

kriskatatstrophic

Reefing newb
i just put together a pvc overflow from a design i found on the web ill post some pix
DSC01635.jpg
DSC01636.jpg
DSC01638.jpg
on my sump just to show how it sets in the aquarium it dosnt fit the sump well
DSC01637.jpg

When I had a 40g running parallel with my main tank, I used the same siphon design between the two tank as well. Worked really well. Never lost the siphon between the 2 tanks.

here are some pics of my diy pvc overflow
0628002341.jpg
FTS i know its crocked i just haven't bothered starting it yet

0628002339.jpg
entering the sump ....there is quite a bit of flow

0628002338.jpg
shot of the sump

0628002339a.jpg
return line flexible high pressure tubing i think..lowes was out
of regular tube so i had to buy this

all together I'm pretty impressed with the overflow like i said before i don't
know the GPH but it seams like a lot of flow to me it keeps up with a 300
GPH pump turned down a lil I'de say its closer to 250GPH...i think all the pvc
and elbows came to like 12$ I'm much happier paying that instead of 130$ for
a HOB overflow box

I would suggest making the pipe that enters the sump longer, so that it discharges underwater. You are going to get a lot of noise and splashing if it opens up above the water like that. But it looks good!

Another thing I would like to point out, is in the last picture. Those fittings arent for that tubing. Those are PVC 90's. I wouldnt trust the glue to hold the tubing in. Especially under the presure of the return pump.

But the overflow looks very nice. Glad it is working out for you

I just made this same overflow for my aquarium and I've only dry fitted it and tested it with a trash can and I'm going to cement it tomorrow before I start using it....do you think if you put the return below the water, and then put another elbow under the water that would stop the bubbles from breaking the siphon?

probably im am curently not using this set up beaces wen i made the sump i used the rong silicone and killed alot of my fish MAKE SURE YOU USE AQUARIUM SAFE SILICONE that idea might work just test it in a trash can first

Back