PVC Primer and Cement

Neal

The Tortoise
Scanning through the gallery, I see a lot of PVC in use, and I can see where some primer was applied to the pipes. My question is, are there any issues with using PVC primer or cement for aquarium plumbing? I assume no, since I'm seeing it used in the gallery. But are there specific brands or chemical compositions of the primer & cement that are aquarium friendly if the kind they sell at Home Depot isn't?

No issues. Just make sure it's dry before using it. Some people will run some water through it to make sure it's rinsed before setting it up. I never went that far.

I let my PVC glue cure for 24 hours before turning on the pumps. I started doing that when I had to start a siphon and did it right after gluing the pieces together. My lungs burned from the fumes. So I thought that must hurt the gills of the fish. I might be looking too much into it, but why chance it.

It is recommended that you let the glue dry 24 hours before using the pipe or "pressure testing it" Just because the surface is dry the interior parts that are not exposed to the air are still wet and need that time to cure. that Is where the real strength comes from.

Back