Pwny's 40G Peacock Mantis Shrimp

Pwny

Reefing newb
Ok so I just got a 40 gal 36x18x17 tank on sale at petco for $40 and I think I want to make it a sps tank with an Odontodactylus scyllarus (aka peacock mantis shrimp) in it eventually. Now to pick what kind of equipment I want to put in it and pan out the stand build! What I have planned now is to drill the tank and I might just put in a 2 inch drain on an elbow to the bulkhead and then a DIY LED light setup. For the filter I have a few plans.
A. 2x 10g aquariums 1x 10g on a stand higher than the 2nd for the refugium and heater that then drains into the other 10g spit in half for the skimmer and return pump.
B. A algae scrubber return pump and heater in a 20g high tank
C. Try and fit a skimmer, refugium, and return in a 20g high
Anyone know any good external skimmers (none HOB) that I could hook to the side of a sump tank they could suggest? I thought it would be nice for this build. Also I want to if possible have the sump 24 inch wide or smaller, my 29 gal under my 56 is a pain to work on and I want to leave room for a duel carbon/gfo reactor. What do you guys think?
PS: this will be a slow build so dont exspect anything in a hurry

dont have it yet just have the tank still got to build everything for it but i will have one in it oneday!

Alright so the planing has started let me know what you think. im building the stand back some so i can run the drains right down the stand to the sump. the sump isent a normaly seen size and i will have to custom build it, i wanted to leave some room on the right side of the inside of the stand for carbon/gfo reactor and maby some shelfs for drivers and pump controls w/e but this is what i got sofar.
40GBreederPlans.png

40GBreederSumpPlans.png

ok so this wont be a peacock tank as much as i want one :( but it will be a sweet sps tank! i finally got my custom sump for it so i started working on it! here is what i have sofar, also some quick pics of the sump!

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1426.jpg

it will be one day but for now it will be a insane SPS tank i plan to try out ecotech radion leds for the light and 2x mp10s. for now i will be setting the tank up for my parents so that's why it wont be a mantis tank. but one day ill change it over, i want one in a bad way.

Back