QT my TBS shipment?

AmberSunrise

Reef enthusiast
I have an order from Tampa bay saltwater coming in the next couple of days. I ordered 3 kinds of sponges, a gorgonian candelabra, porcelain crab, and an order of "plants" whatever that entails.

I am wondering if anyone who has ordered from them quarantined their items first before putting in the main tank. I am worried about unwanted bugs or creatures or pests that might hitchhike.

I am planning on keeping them in my small QT tank for at least a week but wasnt sure if it was really necessary since I am not getting any rocks. I am worried about moving the sponges around to much since they cant get any air.

Advice?

Just putting the stuff into quarantine won't actually rid your shipment of anything that might come with it, so unless you have a plan for that then I wouldn't worry about it.

And as far as the sponges I know the general consensus is that sponges will die when exposed to air but, Richard has posted several times that the sponges are exposed to air everytime he pulls them out of the ocean.

I was also assured that exposing the sponges to air won't cause them any problems, and I agree -- I had to expose all of mine to air just to get them in the tank, and to frag the big ones. I didn't have any issues.

Just putting the stuff into quarantine won't actually rid your shipment of anything that might come with it, so unless you have a plan for that then I wouldn't worry about it.

And as far as the sponges I know the general consensus is that sponges will die when exposed to air but, Richard has posted several times that the sponges are exposed to air everytime he pulls them out of the ocean.

Well I just figured I would keep them in the QT tank to watch for redbugs or any other unwanted things that might show up and it would be easier to treat. I am not sure how long I would need to leave them in the QT tank before feeling confident I could transfer them though.

I was also assured that exposing the sponges to air won't cause them any problems, and I agree -- I had to expose all of mine to air just to get them in the tank, and to frag the big ones. I didn't have any issues.

Ok thanks! Sarah I remembered you got that awesome red sponge so I was wondering how it was doing.

I did talk to Richard on email and he said he is THE sponge guy so I know they know what they are doing. I guess I am more worried about me moving it into my tank.

While I too exposed my sponges from him to the air I will add this.

I has a beautiful Red Ridge sponge he sent me and I loved it but I changed my water 2 or 3 times while it sat in the air until I added the water back and it started slowly getting white tips and at first I thought it was from the hermits that were always on it but in the end it was the air.

I would say ti was the prolonged exposure so just don't leave them out for long.

Richard and I have discussed sponges plenty and yes it is true he said it is ok but I never confirmed a length of time that was safe.

He has some cool rocks at his house that i don't think he sells. I forgot where he said they were from but they were like shelves and I was like holy crap I want those and I think he just said uh not for sale.

One day when i get my big tank I will ask him again. I plan on really looking at many many set up and building my aquascape using no live rock and taking my time.

I won't have that newbie rush next time for sure and feel like I need live rock, since I already have TBS dry and the live rock which I LOVE the look of. Can't get enough of those natural formations and shells stuck in them.

I am most exciting of building it with a plan of where the corals will go. I may do just corals for a while and add only a few bigger fish.

Anyway his sponges kick,

Weird, he told me to open all my spongers in the tank under the water, and he definitely ships/bags them differently then the rest of the stuff.

Back