QT tank question

beam3er

Reefing newb
Hello,
I have an ick problem. I purchased Super Ick Cure made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals (API) from something fishy in Northampton, PA. They recommended this over the copper they were selling, they said they use it in their store, it is cheaper then the copper so I do not think it was about them trying to make a buck off of me. My question is ever since I put my fish in the QT tank they seem way, way more stressed out then they were in my show tank with ick. Is this normal? Is the medicine hurting them? They just lay on the bottom breathing heavily. Are they just stressed from the move into a new strange tank? They have only been in the QT tank for 2 days now. Thank you all in advance for your input and comments.

Are there places for the fish to hide? Like some peices of PVC pipe or little flower pots or something?

Also, medicine tends to make the oxygen levels in water decrease. Just keep an eye on them and follow the directions on the bottle exactly.

Good luck and hope everything takes a turn for the better:Cheers:

Yes I have a lot of PVC in the QT tank for them to hide. I am following the directions exactly I do a 25% water change in 2 more days. Maybe that will help them out. Thanks

You can add another power head and make sure that the surface of the water is being rippled by the waves. That way you know that as much oxygen is in the water as there possibly can.

I have an aqua clear powerhead 20 gallon in the QT which is a 10 gallon. When I came home from class one of my fish was dead. I called the pet store and they said that sometimes the mediccation can be to strong for some fish. They told me to do a 50% water change, and when I have to add more medicine only do half the recommended dose. I hope this medication doesnt kill all my fish! What am I to do? I feel like they would have been better off in the tank that had ick. I am very frustrated.

Last edited:
I have an aqua clear powerhead 20 gallon in the QT which is a 10 gallon. When I came home from class one of my fish was dead. I called the pet store and they said that sometimes the mediccation can be to strong for some fish. They told me to do a 50% water change, and when I have to add more medicine only do half the recommended dose. I hope this medication doesnt kill all my fish! What am I to do? I feel like they would have been better off in the tank that had ick. I am very frustrated.

Which fish died now?

Sorry to hear about your fish.
Thats why I dont mess with a QT.The move from the display to the QT is pretty stressfull on a fish thats already stressed from the ick.
Just what I've noticed from helping at the LFS.But I've seen more fish die from ick in the QTs than the ones that were left in the displays.If the fish is left in a tank that its comfortable in and feed high quality foods,they usually do better.
I'm not saying to not QT fish before you add em to the tank,just saying that being snatched outta their home just ups their stress factor.

Sorry to hear about your fish.
Thats why I dont mess with a QT.The move from the display to the QT is pretty stressfull on a fish thats already stressed from the ick.
Just what I've noticed from helping at the LFS.But I've seen more fish die from ick in the QTs than the ones that were left in the displays.If the fish is left in a tank that its comfortable in and feed high quality foods,they usually do better.
I'm not saying to not QT fish before you add em to the tank,just saying that being snatched outta their home just ups their stress factor.

Yote,

I'm yet to have an ich problem, but I have some questions in case I do. In a reef tank you cannot use copper based treatments or other treatments that actually work. From what I understand, a QT tank is the only option that I've been told. Are there any other options that you would advise?

Never had to deal with in my tank either,but this is the advice my LFS gave me when I first started in this hobby.
In a reef tank,about all you can do is feed a high quality food with vitamins to boost the fishes immune system and do you best to limit any stress factors.
Of course it'll help to make sure that your buying healthy fish to begin with and do your best to stock only compatible species.

Last edited:
Hyposalinity is also an effective treatment for ich, and in most cases, is less stressful than copper. But you cannot use it in the display tank. Basically anything you can use in the display tank that is "reef safe" is not going to do an ounce of good against ich.

I've always been in the same camp as Yote -- I've had fish get ich, but I have never once lost a fish to it. I've never removed them. I've always just made sure they are eating garlic, vitamins and good food, and they have been able to fight it off themselves. I know this won't work for a lot of the more sensitive fish, but if you have a really sensitive fish come down with ich, quarantining it and medicating it won't always cure it either.

Back