QT tank questions

tankedchemist

Reef enthusiast
Hey everybody... I've decided to put together a QT tank before I get any more animals in my tank, and in case of disease and such. What size do you think is good? Do you need to keep it going all the time (cycled with LR, etc) or what? not sure I want all the maintenance of having a second tank set up all the time. Also, what sorta stuff do you put in it-- is it necessary to have LR/sand in it? What about filtration and lighting?

Thanks for the input!!

a 20 gal long, bare bottomed, and a piece of PVC so the fish have a place to hide in. LR and sand would hold any meds that would be used in the tank and leech out over time. if your treating a fish, you would be doing a lot of water changes anyway so maintence on a second tank is unavoidable. A simple strip light will work.

20gal? really? That's almost as big as my display tank :P

Do you only assemble the QT on an as-needed basis, or is it something you keep up all the time?

It's a good idea to have it up and running on an as-needed basis. No sand, no live rock. Bare bottom with PVC hiding places for fish. You'll need a heater and a powerhead. You probably won't need a filter or skimmer -- just be good about water changes. When you get a fish, take water from your main tank to start up the quarantine tank. That way you'll get some bacteria in the old water.

If you already have fish in your display tank, quarantining any new fish will be pointless, since they will just get any diseases from your existing fish once they're placed in the display tank after being quarantined.

These fish were already QTed in a friend's setup. But I also want a secondary tank available for future problems-- like my clown fish getting attacked by the new flame angel... so not just for disease control purposes.

thanks for the advice guys :)

Back