QT Tank WCs

andysgirl8800

Blenny Badlands
Alright, some of you use QTs, some don't. Here is my issue:

Background:
I have a 10g QT tank. WIll move up to 20g soon, but have the 10 for now. It's hooked up to a canister filter w/o carbon. It is NOT connected to my sump or my skimmer. No live filtration of any kind, so the tank only has some PVC fittings for hidey holes, lighting grid (egg crate) on the bottom, and the heater. Have great water flow at the moment.

Currently, I have put my existing larger clown, and a new smaller clown into the QT to allow them time to meet 'n greet ( :cupidarr: ) before my lovely little tang beats the crap outta the new fish and also to alleviate a little of the territorality present in my older, larger clown. I'm hoping by the time I put them both back into the DT, it'll seem like a new place to both of them. I'm thinking I want to leave them in the QT for a minimum of a week, maybe 2.

Question(s):
How long can fish be in there before needing to do a water change? I'm sure it depends on how many, what types, and what size fish are in the QT, and what, if anything, am I dosing with, how much I'm feeding, etc. I know it's a much smaller environment than my DT, so things can get whacked quickly. Any ideas? I was thinking I would need to do some frequent small water changes...maybe 1-2 gallons every 3 days.....does that sound about right?

test for ammonia and nitrite and if it starts to rise than change the water with water from you dt tank

1+ James

Nitrites and ammonia can build up very fast in there. Nitrites will kill those fish very fast. Test that water often and have replacement water ready to go.

Back