Quarantine Questions

Nu2Reefs

Reefing newb
Thanks for all the help so far.
These questions are actually about the main tank while the fish are in quarantine.
1. Do the hermit crabs and snails need more food than just what I feed the corals? (DT's or Marine Snow)
2. Do my Gorgonians need to be fed daily now that I'm not feeding the fish daily?
(They usually pick up bits when I feed the fish I believe)
3. Is there anything I should be doing other the usual while it is empty?

Thanks again
Regina

Nu2Reefs said:
Thanks for all the help so far.
These questions are actually about the main tank while the fish are in quarantine.
1. Do the hermit crabs and snails need more food than just what I feed the corals? (DT's or Marine Snow)
2. Do my Gorgonians need to be fed daily now that I'm not feeding the fish daily?
(They usually pick up bits when I feed the fish I believe)
3. Is there anything I should be doing other the usual while it is empty?

Thanks again
Regina

If you have algae in the your tank,then your snails and hermit will be fine.Gorgonians are sea fans right?They feed on invertebrate food like the marine snow you have.,I hear several times a week.I don't know how long your tank being running but it seems a little soon for Gorgonians,but everthing else you seem to have in order.

Tank has been running as a FOWLR for about 15+ years We've recently (about 8 months ago started adding corals with low to medium light requirements as we only have 260 watts on our 100gal. I had some rather aggressive fish in the tank which are in quarantine now (TRIGGERS and WRASSES) so I added a few turbo snails to help clean up while the tank is predator free but the snails seem to be eating it faster than it is reproducing. Not a lot left now.

hermits are scanvengers they will eat what fish dont eat and snails are fine they dont require any supplemental feeding I would just drop some fish food in there for the hermits you should be good the tank should be established if it has been going for 15+ years you should have some nice live rock Id say a great natural bio filter your light will be fine for the moderate light needed corals such as the majority of softies.

Ok Thanks,
So once a week? drop a piece of fish food in for the hermits and that should be sufficient?

Thanks again for the replys
Regina

Well, I have brine shrimp, baby brine shrimp, mysid shrimp, daphnia, plankton, and krill in the freezer now. Which would you recommend. All are in the cube form except the brine shrimp.

any of the cube would be good just drop a piece near the hermits see how they eat it and go from there to make adjustments as to more or less id say every other days or so.

Back