quarantine setup

jermpool

NAAO President
What do you recomend?

I have been reading up a little but not sure how I want to do it.

Should I set a tank up and keep it up all the time?

Or should I set it up when I need it?

If I set it up when I need it should I use water from my tank or make new water?

What size tank should I use?

Filter?

Substrate?

Hey Jerm:

I would keep atleast a 20 gallon around for when you need to quarantine something. I personally keep a couple rocks in my sump all the time and if an issue arrose I would do a water change putting the water I pulled out of my tank and the rocks from the sump in the 20 gallon and run it as a quarantine.

I wouldn't worry about the substrate, but you will need the LR or a filter/sponge something from the main display.

Just a few suggestions
Brandon

If you use copper or something like that your right you can't put it back in your tank. I would recommend cooking the rocks after use if your worry about infection/parasites, before putting back in the sump.

bkv1997 said:
If you use copper or something like that your right you can't put it back in your tank. I would recommend cooking the rocks after use if your worry about infection/parasites, before putting back in the sump.

When you say cook do you mean boil for a few minutes?

I just drop a heater in the tank turned all the way up for 48 hours or so. Used this a couple times when i got great shapped rocks from questionible tanks.

Brandon

JellyMan said:
Didnt I also suggest you use your sump as a quarentine tank?

Yeah didn't I tell you that your sump is part of your system so it's not quarantine. We'll set you a sump up and then throw some copper in it to treat a sick fish and see what happens to your corals. :death:

Quarantine is a SEPERATE tank to treat sick fish and to watch new fish before you add them to your main tank so you won't introduce any bacteria, viruses or other scknesses to your current system.

forgive me sister I was half asleep the thought was nursery not sump we talked over this last night Im only human Ive been in it for 4 yrs, you 7 whats your excuse you should know way more about this hobby than me but its the other way around. However I would like to take the time to thank you for my fish cant wait to get her a mate tonight see ya in a bit.

JellyMan said:
forgive me sister I was half asleep the thought was nursery not sump we talked over this last night Im only human Ive been in it for 4 yrs, you 7 whats your excuse you should know way more about this hobby than me but its the other way around. However I would like to take the time to thank you for my fish cant wait to get her a mate tonight see ya in a bit.

I have forgot more than you know. I can't even remember how old I am half the time. Ha I even thought Hunter was still in the third grade. Maybe Im just getting old. Or maybe my hair loss is taking brain cells with it.

nope not the age im only 2 yrs behind you, not the drugs cause well you dont do em, not the hair loss cause your only loosing in the front with your whitows peak. What else could it be?

basic QT set up.

1 - 10g aquarium. (most meds say dose per 10g so this makes it simple.
1 - HOB filter W/Bio wheel (if you use the sponge in the sump method don't use the Bio wheel.)
1 or 2 - PVC fittings for the fish to hide in.
1 - heater
1 - glass top (keeps stressed fish in the tank and off the carpet)
1 - syphon hose

I would never use LR in a QT tank because you may contaminate the rock with parisites or medication and who wants to cook perfectly good (and expensive) LR.

If you use the sponge filter method where you keep a sponge filter in the sump, forgo the BIO wheel on the HOB but still use the HOB for gas exchange and running carbon (unless medicated tank then remove carbon).

Also be sure to syphon any excess food or waste from the bottom of the tank every day. it's easy for these tanks to accumulate waste.

while syphoning the water do a water change. 10-20% water changes should be performed DAILY on QT tanks.

also when setting up the tank i like to use 50% new salt water and 50% water from my display.

hope this helps.

AndY

Back