quarantine tanks?

pinstripes

Reefing newb
I've been reading the importance of quaratine tanks? Im wondering what is everybody set up is? And how long do you leave the fish in there before introducing them into the your main tank? 10 gallon bare tank with some hiding places with a sponge filter is the preferred system? Please share your experience with me. Later Aquarists!

Pinstripes

For a QT all you need is a small tank,with some kind of filter and a heater.
As for how long you leave a fish in QT depends on the person and the fish.

I have a basic 10gal. tank with a strip light/hood,heater,and an Aquaclear filter.No sand and I put a rock from the the sump and water from the DT when quarantining fish....usually for 2 weeks.I don't run one full time,just when getting new fish/coral.

10g is my personal preference because most meds come in 10g doses. I also use a penguin bio-wheel hob filter. Other equipment includes a heater, thermometer, various pvc fittings for hiding places, and an in tank UV sterilizer (which I don't use if I'm going to be medicating).

Also remember that it is important to remove excess food and detritus quickly from the tank via siphon hose and good daily water changes will be appreciated by your animal. I like to use water strait out of the tank for this.

PS I like to quarantine for at least 3-4 weeks.

Back