Quarantined too late

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
Lost my kole tang to ich last night. Died in quarantine. :(

So even though none of my other fish (two clowns, a blue chromis, and two mandarins) show any signs of ich or ever have, I still need to get them into quarantine, right?

I have no clue how I'm going to manage that. :shock:
Might have to look for a fish trap.

Lost my kole tang to ich last night. Died in quarantine. :(

So even though none of my other fish (two clowns, a blue chromis, and two mandarins) show any signs of ich or ever have, I still need to get them into quarantine, right?

I have no clue how I'm going to manage that. :shock:
Might have to look for a fish trap.

I would think the others will be ok. If they are not showing any signs. I bet the tang had some other kind of problem that made him susceptible to the ich. Thats just my thoughts . others will chime in.

I know most tangs are more susceptible to ich than most fish. Something to do with their mucous coat, I think.
Bummer about your Kole, he was very pretty.

Sorry you lost your tang..
Confused a bit...your tang was in QT and died of ich?Was it in your DT first ,then showed signs of ich??If yes,then your DT has ich,always will,unless you starve it..ich doesn't just pop up,its either always there(introduced by not QTing) ,or never there.
To answer your question, yes,i would remove and QT all other fish,and leave the DT empty for a minimum of 8 weeks to starve the ich.

Your tank is established, and you've had your fish for a while. I wouldn't worry about it. I think in situations like that, it stresses the fish more to take them out and quarantine them than it does to just leave them be and let them live with it.

I have ich in my tank, but I've never lost a fish to it. My fish live with it just fine -- and I've had most of my fish for 5 to 10 years now. I don't quarantine new additions, because there's no point with fish already in my tank.

Well how do i prevent losing fish to ich?
This is the third tang i've lost. My tank is the tang tank of death. :(

You'd have to take all your fish out and QT them, and let the ich in the tank die off.

Possibly a neon goby for your tank? I like mine, and he's a very personable (small fish) always comes to the front of the tank when I walk by. And occasionally, I can see him picking at something on the sides of my larger clown.

From all my readings, Dennis, there's no way to avoid ich unless you qt everyone, and leave your tank fishless for a few months. Like BIff always says, keep a healthy environment, and your fish should be able to fight of ich and parasites on their own...but sometimes, since Tangs are ich magnets anyway, it's unavoidable.

I've often already been in the position of "leave the sick fish alone in the tank and hopefully he fights it off, or pull him out, qt and treat him, and risk him dying from the stress". So far, I'm 0-2 in the qt'ing sick fish. Sorry about your tang though.

Sorry for the people who have not had success removing all the fish and treating and leaving the tank empty,but i'm a success story..i did it over a year ago..

D2 when I had to get my fish out of my tank when I upgraded I cut a piece of plexiglass that was the W x H of my tank.. I moved a couple of rocks around. coaxed the fish to 1/3 of the tank and slid the plexiglass down to the sand.. (essentially partitioning the tank). Once I had them partitioned off, I just slid the plexiglass closer to them until they had very little room to swim. It made them easy to catch. I only had to move a couple of rocks. The hardest to catch were th clowns because they were last, by then I think they'd caught on to what was going on. I pulled 6 fish out of my old tank in less than 30 min.

Just make sure you turn off the power heads, the current will grab the piece of plexiglass and make it hard to handle.

Back