Quarentine Tank Help !!!!

Civicdemon

Go Big Or Go Home !
Ok so im setting up my quarentine tank today and i need a bit of info, Some people are telling me to use watter from my DT in the quarentine tank. I told them that i had a ich outbreak a couple weeks back that killed all my fish. Anyways they said just to use a gravel Vac full of cotton media stuff and siphone about 10 gallons from my display tank to the new 30 gallon quarentine tank to help it cycle fast.

My question is wont this transfer the ich to the new quarentine tank ??? Should i does the quarentine tank with a half salution of cooper wile it cycles ??

Another question is how long will it take to cycle with no substrate on rock in there ???

Should i just put fresh all new water from my LFS in the 30 gallon quarentine tank, Or is it ok to do as others have told me ??

You don't need to cycle a quarantine tank - all it should include is water, a powerhead, heater, and some pvc pipe large enough for fish to hide in. No sand, no rock, no cuc, etc. There really is nothing to cycle - bacteria grow on the surface area of the sand and rocks, and in a QT tank you control water parameters by going very frequent water changes, not through the use of live rock/sand. I'd start with fresh water rather than using water from your DT. I don't really know if you'd transfer ich, but since there is nothing to cycle and no fish from your DT that are going into quarantine, I see no reason to use water from your DT. Are you going to be treating with copper or hyposalinity in your quarantine tank?

Last edited:
If you will be quarantining all new fish, you should be treating with hyposalinity or copper, so it doesn't matter if you use water from your display tank -- any ich that is in it would be killed by the hypo/salinity treatment anyways.

If you are not going to treat new fish with copper or hyposalinity, then I don't think there's a point in quarantining them.

Using a gravel vac with cotton...wouldn't do anything. So I'm really confused by that suggestion.

Back