Question About A Hermit Crab?

cwis24

Reefing newb
I am in the process of switching my tank to a reef tank
I just got a whole bunch of live rock in there (see gallary for pics)
I had a hermit crab in there(one i owned previously)
i know i will need to get him out when its coral time (not there yet)
IS it cool for him to be in there with the live rock or should i get him out now?

He does not have red eyes and i know he likes to eat alge
But he also does go after the brine shrimp pelets so i guess he like meat :-)

To really answer that question you would have to ID the crab. Some are reef safe and some are not. Look for a few pics and see if you can figure out what kind it is.

since you said it is a hermit.what color are his legs.zebra striped and blue striped are usually ok.real small red leg one are ok as well.some will pick off snails when looking for new homes.There are large ones with red hairy leg that will cause problems.Try liveaquaria.com and check the hermit crabs for some discriptions and compatabilites

Here is the best pict i can find of him
He is dark in color with a thin blue stripe on his legs

hermitcrab.jpg

Thanks for the help guys :-)

The crab will consume small bethnic animals, algae, and the like, but, as long as he is the only one and does not try to catch the fish you are ok. if he tries to catch the fish get um out soon. I personally would not have um in my system. cant be trusted when they get medium to large. see the helpful articles page one. there you will find an article on crabs by calfo. good luck with the crab.

Last edited:
Its probley common zebra leg hermit,but he look pretty big so just watch his behavior.Most likly he will just eat algae and detris,and pick off an occasional snail.I would switch it out for a couple of smaller ones that will be able cover the tank better.Your choice though

Back