Question about a possible cycle in my 135...

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
Ok...so today I am going to pick up my plumbing supplies and my sand... 120 more lbs... I was planning on hooking the plumbing up and adding the sand to the tank, however I am not planning on transfering everything until I get my new pump on friday. my question is, can I avoid the cycle by using scripps water, which is natural seawater... Will I get a cycle if I fill the tank with the new sand and make some new saltwater... Should I transfer everything all at once to avoid a cycle... Also I don't think I will be getting the other 100lbs of LR until next week... Any suggestions?

You probably won't avoid a cycle altogether, as most of the bacteria lives in the live rock and sand, and only a small fraction of it lives in the water column. When someone is able to avoid a cycle, it's usually because they are using old sand and old rock, so all the bacteria is already there. If you are using new sand and new rock, then it is unlikely that there will be enough bacteria in the water alone to avoid the cycle.

There isn't much you can do to avoid a cycle if you are using new sand and new rocks. You can either add stuff gradually so that the cycle is very slight, and drawn out, or you can add everything at once and have a really big cycle over and done with quickly.

You could do that...But cycling could take weeks. I think your best bet would be to cure the live rock in rubbermaid tubs while your 60 is still up and running. Then if you transfer the cured rock into the new tank along with all the stuff from your 60, and then you could probably avoid a cycle. This is how I set up my 240, I cured all the rock separately, then put it in the new tank along with all the livestock and old rock from my 55. And I used all new sand too, and didn't see a cycle.

If your rock has been in a holding tank at the LFS and your not planing on adding any uncured rock,Then it is very possible to avoid a cycle.
We set up complete systems at the LFS all the time using live sand and fully cured rock,completely stocked with fish and corals.I have yet to see one of those cycle and I been helping them since last feburary.

I however DO NOT recommend starting a tank that way.But it can be done.

Back