Question about chillers

outlaw38

Reefing newb
I have another question for you guys. I need to add a chiller to my system because my temperture is swinging from 74 at night to over 80 with the lights on. I understand how a chiller works but was wondering if they have a built in powerhead or do you have to add that also? Also wondering if they heat the water when the temp drops below the setting? Also where does the water need to be pulled from and discharged back to? I was looking at a Arctica Titanium Chiller 1/10 hp. If there is a better unit please let me know. Thanks for everybodys help !!

I dont have a chiller but I would assume that they dont heat the water. YOu would set the chiller for a couple degrees above what your heater is set to so there would be a slight buffer so the heater and chiller arent constantly trying to cancle each other out.

Brian

I agree with Andy and Biff.Just turn your heater up so that you have a 1 degree or less tempture difference.

There are chillers with built in controllers and heaters. I personally use a dual controller that regulates which is on and off. so you set the controller which has a temp probe, and connect the heater and chiller to the controller. you set the controller temp and the temp spread and the controller turns things on and off. or you can get a flow through chiller that cools and heats with built in controller. just shop around. Pacific coast has some good prices, and the one you selected is ok also. hope something here helps.

Back