Question about compact fluorescent

srizzutto

Reefing newb
Hello all

Looking for some advice

I have a 4' coralife light fixture

I am setting up a tank for my son and trying to do it somewhat inexpensive (I am planning on upgrading the fixture at a later date) I also am very aware that inexpensive and saltwater tank don't necessarily go together.

Anyway, Im not real familiar with the CF lighting
The fixture has 4 CF bulbs

I was going to go with 2 10k 65w bulbs and 2 50/50 bulbs 10k/460 actinic

This would basically give me 3 10k bulbs the length of the tank and 1 actinic

Or should I go with 4 50/50 bulbs giving me 2 full length 10k and 2 full length actinic

Tank is 75g
Will be reef with no hard coral
I don't even have water in the tank yet, but I'm trying to plan ahead

I used to run a pc fixture and went half 10k and half actinic. The only advantage of running 2 10k and 2 actinic over 4 50/50 would be that you can run them on different switches and turn blue and white on and off separately. This would allow you to create the dusk and dawn effects that most use.

I would stay away from the 6500k for saltwater. I believe that will look more yellow than white, more suited for freshwater, possibly even promote some unwanted algae growth. I would guess most saltwater tanks today are 10000k, 20000k, acticnic or some blend of the three.

cool
thank Sig
Ill go with the 10k

i also just read that the actinics originated from the days when MH lighting only came in 6500k and would give everything a yellow washed out look, so they supplemented with the blue actinics.

Now that the K ratings are higher, therefore bluer, im wondering if actinics are even necessary.

Sometimes research leads you to buy nothing!!!! : )

It's more of the spectrum that is required to promote coral growth. 14 to 16k is the common kelvin beginners use. I range from 10 to 20 depending on the time of day.
At 6500k, you will see no coral growth and alot of algae growth.
Keep up on the research!

Back