Question about coralline, skimmer, and fish

drm180

Reefing newb
I have three unrelated questions.

First, when should my skimmer start producing skimmate? It is a Remora with the maxi-jet 1200. I hooked it up yesterday around noon after scrubbing it out thoroughly. The is white foam cumming about halfway up the foam tower but it wont go any further.

Secondly, I started my tank with 25 lbs of dry rock and about 3 lbs of live rock that was covered pretty well in coralline. The coralline on the dry rock has turned white in some places and some places it has flourished. It has not, however, showed the slightest sign of spreading onto anything but the live rock. How long does it normally take for it to start speading.

Lastly, I have a Pink Smith Damselfish that I started my tank with. I'm going to put a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish in soon and I was wondering if it was likely that the Smith Damsel would fight with other fish.
Sorry for all the questions at once. Thanks in advance.

The skimmer may take a few days to properly break in since it's new.

How do you have coralline on dry rock? Was this dry, white, base rock? It will take some time to start spreading. Need to make sure your calcium level is up. You'll start seeing little flicks of purple here and there.

You shoudn't cycle a tank with a fish. But I'd get rid of the damsel. They can cause you aggravation down the road if you try to add a peaceful fish down the road.

I mixed a little bit of live rock with the 25 lbs of base rock. The base rock had no coralline. My calcium is staying at about 360, is that bad?

No thats not really bad since you have no corals etc. If you were keeping SPS sure you would be low on the calcium. Once your cycle is done and you start doing weekly water changes you should start to see your calcium go a little higher just from the water changes. FOWLR I wouldn't even bother measuring calcium to be honest with you.

The coraline that has turned white is where it is dying from the cycle. This is pretty normal. If it all dies off after your cycle you may want to add one small corraline covered rock to reseed again.

The tank is done cycling and I'm going to add some corals in about a month, probably a torch coral. I'm going to switch salts before then though. What level is good for LPS?

I'll render a guess and say 450ish for LPS and SPS corals. I haven't done those in years though so don't take my word for it. I don't have the best memory anymore. Biggest dif If remember right is the SPS used it alot faster so it had to be dosed where as a few LPS could be maintained without dosing calcium. If you want your corraline to spread and your tank is done cycling take a rock that has it on it and scrap off some of it into the tank. That will jump start it growing. Weekly water changes also help replenish the minerals it and corals need to grow.

Okay. I think I'm doing everything about right at the moment then. I'm using Instant Ocean salt right now but I have a bag of Reef Crystals that I'm going to switch to. It's supposed to have more calcium.

In regards to your skimmer - Have you tried adjusting the O-Ring around the skimmate collector? If not, move the O-Ring UP on the collector so that the column goes further down into the skimmer. Also, if you haven't done the paper towel trick to quieten the noise you should look into it.

Coraline - Scrub the living f--k out of the piece or LR with the coraline with a toothbrush, that will release spores into your water column and help spread it to the base rock.

What kind of lighting do you have? and HOW new is your tank? I would start with some basic softies before you add a torch, they can be kinda touchy to water params. and with the first couple of months your params. can jump around killing stuff. I know from personal experience :grumble:

Yeah sounds like you just have the beginnings of a nice tank. Just wait till you start to see that white rock turning green and purple. Then the purple starting to crust over everything.

In regards to your skimmer - Have you tried adjusting the O-Ring around the skimmate collector? If not, move the O-Ring UP on the collector so that the column goes further down into the skimmer. Also, if you haven't done the paper towel trick to quieten the noise you should look into it.

Coraline - Scrub the living f--k out of the piece or LR with the coraline with a toothbrush, that will release spores into your water column and help spread it to the base rock.

What kind of lighting do you have? and HOW new is your tank? I would start with some basic softies before you add a torch, they can be kinda touchy to water params. and with the first couple of months your params. can jump around killing stuff. I know from personal experience :grumble:

The collection cup is as far down as it can go buy the foam is starting to make it higher up in the tower. The paper towel thing was the first thing I did and I was amazed by how quiet it got.
I scrubbed my rock all over then found tiny clear shrimp like things at the top of the water that my fish ate quickly. Are these copepods?
I have nova extreme t5 lighting. 96 watts in all. I want some zoanthids, would that be a better starting point than the torch?

My tank has been up since March 6 and it cycled quickly, in about 4 days. I used fully cured rock and a Smith Damselfish. It's been up for a little over a month then.

Back