Question about drilling my tank for refugium?

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
I am planning on drilling a hole in the last compartment of the back of my tank and running it to the rufugium I am building tomorrow... My questions are: 1. Would drilling a 1" hole and using a 1" male and female bushing with gasket be sufficent, then using a ball value for being able to shut off the flow for maintainance. The way the tank is setup it has two slot for skimming water from the surface then falling into a back of tank wet/dry then through 3 compartments... My plan is to drill the last compartment hook up the bulkhead and ball valve, then running 3/4 " clear tubing to the refugium, then returning it via a Rio 2500 powerhead... Basically the flow is dependant on the return pump the way the overflow is setup. The returning water causes the level to rise thus overflowing... Should I use 1" connections or reduce the connections to 3/4 or 1/2"... Again here is a old pic of the back of the tank and then a link to what I think should be sufficent to drill the acylic...
P1000101.jpg

RIDGID No. 4517002, 1 In. 1PC Bi-Metal Hole Saw - 7002 at The Home Depot

I dont see any reason you couldnt drill it with that hole-saw.I think I would stick 1" bulk head to,if it was me.
Are you planning on putting your return pump in the fuge,or just pumping the water back into the return section of you current sump?

In that case,You will want to put a ball valve on your return line.That way you'll be able to adjust the flow so you dont flood your floor.
But other than that,I dont see any reason at all it wouldnt work.Just make sure that once you got it drilled to file down the rough edges of the hole.

On a second thought.
See if you can find a hole saw made for metal.It'll give you a much smoother cut.

I would install one if it was me.You might end up having to slow your return flow down to keep from pumping your fuge dry.Only so much will flow through a specific pipe at one time and if your pump is pumping it out faster than it can flow in,then you'll end up burning your pump up.

The ball valve is just there as a safety.Better to have it and not need it,than need it and not have it.

Then would you recommend using pvc as opposed to vinyl tubing for the whole setup? How would you connect the Rio to the pvc or would you connect the vinyl to PVC from the Rio?

I think I would run 1" PVC between the sump and the fuge.Then use the vinyl tubing from the Rio back to the tank.
Just silicone a baffle in to seperate the pump from the fuge area.The bugs will still get back to the tank,but the sand wont be able to get into your pump.

Yeah, I would run pvc to the fuge, but how would you install the ball valve on the return line... How do you connect the pvc ball valve to the vinyl tubing, just use male bushings?

Use a diamond coated hole bit, which can be bought off ebay for 10.00 including shiping. Use a bulk head not plumbing pieces. and get the right hole saw for a 1" bulk head. A 45mm bit will be good for a 1" bulkhead. I have a video of me drilling my tank on here if you want to watch be done.

Ok...so do not use plumbing pieces to make my own bulkhead... I am going to home depot to buy the components tomorrow... If you would be kind enough, could you please help me with a shopping list for this little project or perhaps a link to a similar project... I would be extremely grateful!!! I can't exactely make a bunch of trips to The Home Depot, I don't have a car right now... Do I have to use a diamond tip blade to drill acylric... Also where is the video? The acylic I am drilling is 1/4 "...

Last edited:
Use a diamond coated hole bit, which can be bought off ebay for 10.00 including shiping. Use a bulk head not plumbing pieces. and get the right hole saw for a 1" bulk head. A 45mm bit will be good for a 1" bulkhead. I have a video of me drilling my tank on here if you want to watch be done.

This bit he is talking about will give you the cleanest cut, just go slow, and it will cut no problem....

I forgot it was acrylic. I have never cut acrilic before. I do know there is some prep and things you need to do so the acrylic dont crack. Here is were I bought my bit from. The guy is in hong kong and it a takes a week or so to get the bit, but a great bit at a great price.45mm Diamond coated drill bit bits hole saw core marble - (eBay item 180156446870 end time Sep-11-07 20:45:18 PDT)
Here were I got my bulkhead, and power heads. There really good priced on there stuff.Pentair Aquatics 1" Threaded Bulkhead at Big Al's Online
Heres more.1" AQUARIUM STANDARD SLIP X SLIP BULKHEAD FITTING - (eBay item 120156274570 end time Sep-28-07 15:53:55 PDT)
Standard Threaded Bulkhead Fittings

Back