Question about eggcrate...

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
I bought some eggcrate to use as a lid for the 135, so the eels can't get out. They like to squeeze into small openings so no open top for me. My question is should I use what I bought to line the bottom of the tank with, so the rocks aren't sitting on the bottom of the tank? Then just put the sand on top of the eggcrate... The 135 is an AGA, so I was thinking it might be wise... Let me know...

Are you asking if you can use eggcrate in place of glass tops?Sure,I don't know anything about eel though.You may have to tie it down some way.

I thought it would be a good idea, so the rock wouldn't be sitting on the glass bottom? No one else here has heard of that...

Why can't you just set the rocks on top of the sand?
Honestly,I've really only heard of people laying eggcrate on the bottom when running a plenum with a DSB(deep sand bed).If you want to do then its up to you.How deep of a sand bed are you going?

nevermind... I thought you shouldn't put the rock on top on the sand because of fish burrowing can cause rocks to lose stability... But I will just put the rock on top of the sand like I did in my 60...

Last edited:
I have never liked the idea of a plenum. avoid the egg crate. If you have a sump, just put glass covers on the top of the tank. It reduces evaporation, will keep the eel in and the sump being open will provide plenty of osygen transfer for the fish.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I'll go 3rd.
My rock is sitting right on the glass.I put the base rock in first,then the sand,then my live rock.

I think Hawks runs a plenum. Maybe he can explain why he thinks they're a good idea. Because I can't come up with an answer to that either!

I just had to move my tank again and I got rid of the plentum. I gave it a try to see what all the fuss was about. To be honest I only got rid of it due to the fact it was really hard to aquascape with it in my sand bed. Aside from that my tank never once cycled on me since I ran it. I even had a fish die while in Boise and was almost completly decomposed when I got back in town. My tank never even had a mini cycle. My pods also thrived with the plentum, but it could all be concidence.

I missed you too baby. thought the 360 had chewed you up and spit you put.

glad to hear you got rid of the plenum. and glad you tried it for me. I don't think I ever would have tried it

Back