question about Mangroves.

banthonyb71

Reefing newb
I was reading about using mangroves to keep the phosphates and nitrates down in my aquarium. Is this being done by people? I heard this was a new kind of natural filtration.

I would like to see if I can do this in my 46 bow. No refugium. or skimmer (maybe later) HOB filter and live rock only.

Mangroves are usually kept in a refugium, and they act the same way as any other macroalgae would in the fuge -- they take up nitrates and phosphates, and outcompete nuisance algae for those same fuels. I know Dennis (d2mini) has some mangroves in his fuge. Maybe he'll chime in.

I have them in the fuge.
They are currently floating in some foam because you have to keep the tops above water. The roots grow out below water. They are neat, but they are slow growing compared to chaeto so they are not the best for soaking up the nutrients. I would think they would be cool in the display tank if A) you had an open top and B) your mangroves were tall enough to be planted in the sand and still have the tops (leaves) out of the water. But I don't know if B is really all that realistic.

You'd probably be better off with one of those hang on the back refugiums and stuff it with chaeto.

I'm thinking of getting rid of my mangroves and leaving the room for more chaeto to grow.

Back