Question about my leather coral

Dturner

Reefer Madness
Hello,

I'm new to these forums and to saltwater and I have attached 2 pics of a leather coral I have.

My first question is what exactly is my coral called. I was told a finger leather? But I thought a finger and leather were two separate things.

My second question is my coral has been closed up for 2 and a half days. I have attached the pictures comparing the two. What is going on? Is my coral dying? It hasn't even showed one tiny polyp in basically 3 days. I have another coral that is doing just fine.

picture before:
http://img40.imageshack.us/i/leathercoralbefore.jpg/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

picture of after:
http://img819.imageshack.us/i/leathercoralafter.jpg/

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Daniel

Last edited:
That's a toadstool leather.

A finger leather is a type of leather, but it's not what you've got.

What it's doing is normal. Leathers close up every few weeks and shed their outer skin.

That's a toadstool leather.

A finger leather is a type of leather, but it's not what you've got.

What it's doing is normal. Leathers close up every few weeks and shed their outer skin.

Thank you for the great info and quick response! Glad to know this is normal behavior.

+1 Biff...make sure it has a lil' flow to help it shed it's outer skin.

It's funny, now that I look at it I can see that it's shedding. I was wondering what the "rippling" effect was on it. It was just the powerhead blowing against the skin making a weird motion. It's one of my only 3 corals so they all have great flow right now.

Thanks for the responses.

Why doe that look like a Devil's Hand to me?Anyhoo,all of them are leather corals.

Your's look perfectly normal and healthy.

Since we're on the coral topic. Maybe you guys can help me with another question. What is the attached coral called? All my pet shop said was "polyps" but that seems so vague.

Also: how long will it take these to grow? I would love for the whole rock to be covered in them, so I'm just wondering how many weeks or months it will take.

Thanks again, I'm loving the forums so far and it's only my first day. How have I not joined yet is the question.

I think the reason your corals are looking sickly is because you dont have enough light to support any kind of coral

I think we concluded that it looked that way because it is shedding, which I strongly believe it is due to the skin-like film coming off it. Were you referring to the button polyps or a different coral? Sorry, I'm confused.

I was referring to the fact you only have 56 watts of light over a 60 gallon tank. 1 watt per gallon isnt enough to keep any corals.

photo3muu.jpg

I was referring to the fact you only have 56 watts of light over a 60 gallon tank. 1 watt per gallon isnt enough to keep any corals.

Right, I knew you were referring to that. But are you saying that my coral isn't shedding, it looks like that due to my lighting?

looks a whole lot like shedding but im no toadstool expert never even had one
but i do know palys and zoas, so if they grow it will be really slow your tank is way under lit for any corals really i think about 3 watts of light per gallon would make them much happier and the paly will probably change color a bit and the toadstool might too, but again ive never had a toad before so

Last edited:
If you've only had the leather for a few days, then it won't be suffering from a lack of light yet. But Hannah is right -- it will eventually start to decline because of your lighting.

Thanks for the info. I am sadly finding out tonight that I way overpaid for an inferior lighting fixture that I was told would be perfectly sufficient. Goes to show you can't trust a lot of shops/their salespeople, especially when they know you are just starting the hobby.

I may end up biting the bullet and just buying the new lighting that I need and drop $360. I'll be lucky if I can even sell this old fixture and get half of my money back.

most lfs owners will sell you crap just ask the forums before hand we will take care of you,
before you shell out the cash what fixture are you gonna buy?

Back