Question about my new corals.......

mennazeher04

Reefing newb
Hey there everyone, I just got a question about my two new corals. I bought what looks like a toadstool leather and a rock with 5 small greenish/blue mushrooms on it. Now I bought them on sunday and I seen the leather have its tentacles out at the store but of course they arent out now. I know it take a few days maybe to get used to the tank or whatever but sunday night i had my moon lights on and they were out but when the 10k came on they sucked back in. Also my mushrooms look like their shrinking. Is all this normal? I will have pics and parameters later when i get off of work. Sorry for the long post and thanks to anyone with answers.

what kind of lights do you have on your tank. they could be getting to much light. my mushrooms stay very small because of to much light for them

You may also want to put the mushrooms in a slightly shady spot in your tank. They tend to prefer it a little darker and lower in the tank. As for the leather, mine took almost 3 weeks after acquisition to finally open up with lights on. It started its molting process right after I got it. Good luck! Let us see some photos of those when you get a chance.

Water quality could also be a factor. Have you tested your water?

Well i havent tested my water in about a month. When i get home i will test my params and post them. I did a water change the day before i put them in the tank, but me being excited to put in my first two corals i didnt even think to run any tests. Newbie mistake. lol.

Sounds like a lighting issue to me... especially if the leather retracted when your main lights came on. You might try reducing your photo period for the next few weeks, gradually bringing it back to your normal schedule.

Sounds like a lighting issue to me... especially if the leather retracted when your main lights came on. You might try reducing your photo period for the next few weeks, gradually bringing it back to your normal schedule.

Ok on the reducing of the photo period, how much do i need to reduce it down too? Like can i just reduce the amount of time that the 10k's are on and have the actinics on longer? Or, do i have adjust the actinic's and the 10k's?

cut the amount of time the lights are on in half than every couple days add 15min to the time until you have the amount of time that you want for the lights to be on

He has the 432w Nova Extremes Yote.

I really don't think it's really a lighting issue concerning the leather.Lower half with lots of chaotic flow but indirect.The mushrooms will do better in low flow and less light..The less light the more expanded they will be.BTW,it's not uncommon for leather corals to take several weeks to adjust.

He has the 432w Nova Extremes Yote.

I really don't think it's really a lighting issue concerning the leather.Lower half with lots of chaotic flow but indirect.The mushrooms will do better in low flow and less light..The less light the more expanded they will be.BTW,it's not uncommon for leather corals to take several weeks to adjust.

Hey sorry didnt respond with anything last night but when i got home yesterday the leather was opened up and had all of its tentacles out. So thats good news. Also the shrooms were looking lilke they are starting to stretch back out like they were in the reef shop. Ok so should i still move the leather since its opened up where i have it?

Back