Question about Powerhead placement...

Ctimpson

Reefing newb
I have a Rio 2500 as my return pump from my fuge and it creates enough current up top, but I have a rio 800 and Rio 180 also in the tank... Question is where is the best place to put the two powerheads? Right now I have the 800 on the left hand side about half way up and the 180 on the opposite right side wall, facing the other, about 3/4 the way up... Should I place them more towards the bottom facing each other? Thanks

Put them close enough to the top that they cause a ripple in the water's surface. You want air and water to mix a bit to oxygenate your tank.

I have 2 mj1200 pointed at eachother on each side of the tank and two aquaclear 30 pointed to the front of the tank both hooked up to a wave make and a rio 2500 as a return that my sump water gets pointed right to the surface for arigation.

Biffs right,You want some surface current.
But you also want to get as much random flow as possible.Try aiming them at the front center surface to start with,Them every so often move them around some untill you get the flow so that you dont have any dead spots.

It may take a while to get it where you want it.

My return from the fuge creates more than enough surface agitation, trust me... But how high off the bottom do I want the powerheads?

regardless of what the rippling is on the top of your tank, you still want your powerheads facing each other, about 2 inches below the waterline at the top of the tank. As the opposing current pushes against each other, it will force the current down into the sand bed, keeping Cyano away from your tank as well as making a thorough current throughout your rockwork. You can never have too much oxygination at the top of your tank as well.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I find by putting ripples on the surface it helps break up that oil slick that forms on the top, kinda forcing it into the overflow, keeping the surface extra clear..

Back