Question about powerhead

Nickh1342

Reefing newb
I have a 75 gallon tank with about 40 lbs of live rock and 4 pieces of coral. I have had this tank for about 12 years and it has been running this entire time. I used to have fish years ago but someone didn't listen that you need to cover the tank when you have the house sprayed for bugs. Anyway, I am in the process of getting it ready for more coral and fish. I have a HOB filter. Right now the power head pushing water out of the filter is on 120 gph. The old one went out and I replaced it with this spare. I don't remember the gph on the original one. I think I need about 600 gph since I want to put more coral in it. The problem is the HOB filter has a small area to put the pump. I want the smallest pump with the highest gph. I am considering the catalina aquarium 1400 double venturi adjustable aquarium pump. BTW, the water is being pushed up 1.5 feet from the bottom of the filter system into the tank. Any feed back on this pump? Suggestions? Thanks! Nick

The pump head is the difference in water surfaces, not from bottom to top. So, with a hang on the back that should be a "not applicable" head calculation. I guess that is a complicated way to say don't worry about head height. To my understanding you need to be moving about 750 gallons or more per hour.

My guess is it "worked" because you ran a filter.. that has changed. We don't like filters because of all the bad things they harbor... the hobby has learned much in 12 years. With new methods your tank will be healthier and easier to maintain.

It is different than 12 years ago, back then I was into fresh water because they hadn't made the advances of recent in reef tanks. Filters are no longer recommended. You will find us recommending you remove the filtration stages and turn it into a sump and/or refugium HOB. This is a simple mater. ... I "think". Can you send us pictures of the HOB? What brand is it? If it is one of which long term experienced forum members can still relate to they can advise on how to convert it to a sump or refugium.

Now days it is recommended that you run at least a minimum of 1 pound of LR for each gallon of tank water. Most of us run more than that. The microbes and other creatures in the Live Rock are the filtration system. In your case you can buy dry "live" rock that is seriously cheaper and let it get seeded from your existing Live Rock. You will have to order it on line as most fish shops don't like to sell it, they would rather seed it and sell it as LR. Many of us like to run some LR rubble in our sumps, as well. You will be hearing more on that subject, rest assured.

Plus, after your OOPS you may want to run some carbon in a sock for a while to be sure all that nasty stuff is pulled out of your tank. How are those corals looking and what are they? Pictures of them would be nice.

Please post some current water chemistry testing data.

Do you run a skimmer??? If not, that is how it is done now. A skimmer removes the protein from the water and "gives" it to you to dispose of. It acts the part of the surf foam at a real world reef which pushes the protein onto the beach to be broken down by terrestrial creatures, plants, and the sun.

Stand by for other forum reefers to offer additional advice.

Last edited:
You'll need more than just the output from a canister filter for proper flow in a 75 gallon tank. You'll want to look at powerheads that attach to the side of the tank. There are several different kinds available, Hydor Koralia's are popular budget minded powerheads. EcoTech Marine Vortechs or Tunze Nanostreams are more expensive, but offer programmable, random flow

Thanks for your input!

I studied up on HOB vs using a sump. I also spoke with our local marine store.

I am switching over. I ordered a new tank and the marine store told me how to build a sump.

I think this will be alot better system.

I am sure I will have more questions!!

Oh, couple of other things.

The HOB I bought from a shop that made them. It is not a name brand HOB. It does have a protein skimmer.

I did put carbon in the filter to clean it out after the oops.

I did have the marine store test my water and it was all good except for KH was a little low (9). I am using some buffer now.

I have a small Kenyan tree I bought from the store recently. I don't know what are the other three pieces of coral. I have never seen them in a marine store. I got a bonus years ago on a piece of live rock I bought. There was a really small piece of coral on it. It grew and it had two babies as well that are now decent size. I will see if I can post a picture.

Back