Question about Pulsating Xenias

krazydy

Reefing newb
Hi all. I've had my pulsating Xenias for about 3 months now and noticed that they have been spawning slowly. as I was reading on melev's reef website it said that Since they grow upward toward light, placing them up high will control their spreading. If I was to place them lower in my tank will they then start to spread?

There are different types of xenia some grow slower than others. Other than that I agree they usually grow faster when they have nearby rocks that they can attach to and continue on growing, so I can see how placing it lower would help.

The Xenia that I have spreads like crazy. If you place it next to live rock that it can reach out to and latch on, it should start to move right up the rock in no time. It is a really cool coral to sit and watch, but they grow like a weed. I had to resort to surrounding my colony of Xenia with loose live rock pieces so they would be easy to remove from my tank once it started to spread. Good thing is, my LFS always had room for them, I made over $100 on pieces of Xenia that I have taken in to them to sell, and all I ever paid for my original Xenia was $5. Not a bad profit, and a good idea if you don't have a ton of money to spend on your aquarium.

Back