Question About Red Sea Max Complete System

Aries85

Reefing newb
I was wondering if anyone out there could give me some info or feedback on the Red Sea Max system. I was looking at getting this as my first system. I have dabbled in fresh water, but that was a long time ago. I was looking at this system is because its all inclusive. The other reason we were looking at this system is because of the size constraights we are facing. We are looking to do maybe a Fish w/ Live Rock system right now, and hopefully some hardy corals later on. Would this system be suffient to handle some corals? I have seens some people's setups and they have managed corals in thier systems.

I have been reading around on the internet and the book "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" and they sometimes say that this is too small of a tank for a beginer, but really this the biggest size we can put in our place for the time bigging. I know this will be a little challenging but hey we are up for it, but what sort of problems are we lookin at?

Thanks in advance for the info., and we appreciate it very much.

I googled it, and it looks pretty good. But it is very pricey. Have you thought about what happens if one component breaks, since everything is built-in?

If you want it, I say go for it. It's 34 gallons of total volume, which is hard for a new tank, but you can do it. Basically, the larger the tank, the more room there is for error. In smaller tanks, water quality goes downhill very quickly and it can be very hard to keep water quality high, whereas in a larger tank, the pollution gets diluted out much easier.

One thing though, it isn't very high on lighting, so you would be limited to some of the lower light corals. You wouldn't be able to keep SPS, clams, anemones or most LPS, as it's roughly 3 watts per gallon.

I don't know... To me it seems very expensive. You could set up a similar sized 29 gallon with much better lights and equipment for cheaper if you bought everything separate...

The Red Sea Max systems are great.But like Biff said,they can be a pain in the tail if something happens to fail.
But your set on it,Just stay with low light corals and pick your fish carefully and you can have an awesome reef with it.

I really like those Red Sea Max but boy are they pricey.It does take the guesswork on buying separate equipment.The lighting should be good enough for soft corals and LPS corals,IMO.If you like them then go for it.

I like for you to check these two sites out.They may give you another option.I have a preference for glass and the Finnex would be my choice and there are different options on lighting.

Nano Tanks

Click on the Finnex tanks on this front page......Premium Aquatics

Last edited:
Back