question for a friend

xlayedoutx

Reefing newb
I just went and looked at my friends tank that he has had for a little under a year. Anyways a few weeks back he noticed worms in his tank. They stay under the rocks and hardly ever come out. They're dark on each end and kind of a pinkish red in the center of their body. They look kinda hairy to. Anyways he wanted me so see if you guys might know what these are and if their good or bad for his tank. He noticed one at first and today when he lifted up the rock that they stay under and he noticed 5 more. The biggest is about an inch long with the others being about a half inch long.

Worm

xlayedoutx,

To me it sounds like you have one of these
COM_bristleworm.gif
[/IMG]

a bristle worm. I have heard some people say they like them because they keep the sandbed mixed up (like an earth worm) but I hear more negative than positive. I am new here myself so others may have more detail about them :bowdown: and of course I could be wrong :shock: I will try to load a pic on here of one and a link with some information. Hope I helped a little. Like I said I am new so not sure if ill get the link and pic to work, but I will try. Keep us posted

bristle worm

The Cornn family

if its like the pic above then yes its a bristle worm. they are great beneficial organisms to the tank. they are outstanding scavengars and hunt by smell. they are great for removing extra wast out of the substrate. some peole do not like them. but for the most part they are great to have n the tank!!!

If what you have is bristle worms and if they do not over populate, or, cause any visible damage to the other animal or plant life you will be fine. Its the fire worms you want to watch out for. look close to same as bristle worms but grow much bigger. if any of the worms get to 4 or 5 inches, you can put a sterile nylon stocking with some bait in in in the system near where they are observed on the substrait just before lights out. the hairs will get tangled in the nylon and in the morning just take it out and discard it. if you feed sparinly a few days before, and do not over bait, you should be able to control the populations of the mobil worms, and extract the unwanted ones. use squid, crab or other smelly bait. saltwater bait only and just a little. at present it does not sound like there are any indications of problems with the worms, so, look at them as beneficial for now unless you have reason to conclude otherwise. hope something here helps. there is a very good article on worms in the helpful articles forum called worms. recommend you check it out.

Back