Question: Itch on Power Brown Tang? Or nothing?

superior

Reefing newb
I have a powder brown tang that I got about 3 weeks ago. The Tang is healthy and eats very consistently. He seems to have adopted well to my tank. The other day I noticed that in the morning when I first turned on my lights that he was covered in about 20-25 small white spots (they look like a small grain of sand?)

After I turn on my metal halite bulbs and wait about an hour it looks like most of them have disappeared??? there are only about 5-6 white spots showing right now? (after the halite bulbs have been on for some time)

Does this sound like itch, or maybe some other thing? or perhaps some white sand that got on him?

Last edited:
its possible it is ich or micro bubbles like oscarsdad said, but if they almost all disappeared when the lights were on then it could have just been what he looks like at night since most fish lose their color when the lights are off. as long as he is eating you should be fine

I think you should keep an eye on the fish for the next couple days to see if the spots reappear. Ich doesn't usually go away and come back within a day.

I think you should keep an eye on the fish for the next couple days to see if the spots reappear. Ich doesn't usually go away and come back within a day.

Thanks for the info everyone. I just checked him again and now I can only see about 3-4 white spots left on him. Hopefully its nothing, he is EATING VERY WELL. He loves to eat seaweed that I put in the tank daily, he picks at the live rocks, and I feed once every other day with Formula 1 & 2 Flakes & Emerald Frozen Foods. When I first got him he was kind of skinny (I could see his bone) But now he has fattened up and looks real healthy.

it doesnt sound like ich because ich just doesnt pop up on day and go away in that same day.

Here's an update!!! I'm happy to say that the Powder Brown Tang Looks great. No Itch!!! Here are some pictures of him just 7 hours after I spotted 20-25 white spots on him. ALL GONE!!!

232323232%7Ffp53682%3Enu%3D3239%3E9%3B6%3E257%3E232%3A9%3B6348353ot1lsi

232323232%7Ffp53657%3Enu%3D32%3C%3B%3E%3B53%3E74%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3239%3A%3A7334%3A34nu0mrj

Back